From the Eagle Sports Desk

Women's Tennis scores ace over Seton Hall, falls to Army

AU Tennis traveled to West Point, N.Y. this weekend to face Seton Hall on Friday and Patriot League rival Army on Saturday. The women split the weekend and suffered their first PL loss of the season to Army, 4-3.

Seniors Kristina Georgieva and Katarina Kollarova brought home the No. 1 and No. 2 singles spots, but it was not enough to secure the win.

Georgieva defeated Army's Marissa Limsiaco, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3, with no problem, while Kollarova easily beat Megan Noble, 6-2, 6-2.

Then, the doubles pair plowed through the competition, 8-3.

Sophomore Ashley Retlev won a close match against Amanda Paluch, 7-5, 6-3 to earn the No. 4 spot.

On Friday the team defeated Seton Hall 4-3, with Georgieva, freshman Julia Colarusso and junior Aleksandra Zerkalova finishing with victories in both singles and doubles.

Georgieva won her first No. 1 spot in singles as well as her second doubles win with partner Kollarova.

Zerkalova secured the No. 3 singles spot and a doubles win for the No. 2 position with partner Colarusso, who also won the No. 5 singles spot.

After taking a few weeks off, the squad hosts the niversity of Jacksonville on Saturday, March 6.

- LAURA RANDISI

Carlstrom runs for border, finishes 16th in Indianapolis race

AU sophomore Keira Carlstrom placed 16th with a time of 13:38 in the 4-K race of the U.S. Cross Country Championships in Indianapolis Sunday, but missed a berth to the 1AAF World Class Country Championships by a mere 33 seconds.

She holds the fastest mile time in the Patriot League indoors, with a time of 4:47.8.

This time provisionally qualifies her for the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships on the weekend of March 12-13 and is currently 12th-fastest in NCAA Div. I.

The race featured the nation's best professional female runners and was won by Shalene Flanagan in 12:26. The first six finishers will represent the U.S. in Brussels, Belgium.

- LAURA RANDISI

Gaeta, Duffy place 2nd, 4th at Millrose Games

This weekend, sophomore Phil Gaeta placed second and junior Sean Duffy finished a close fourth in the College Mile, part of the prestigious Millrose Games.

The lead changed numerous times, and after a slow half mile, the pace quickened. Gaeta snatched the lead coming into the final lap, but with 100 meters left All-American Richard Kiplagat sprinted past.

Kiplagat won the race in 4:19.64 with Gaeta finishing right on his heels in 4:20.09. Duffy crossed the line in 4:21.35.

Gaeta holds the Patriot League record in the 800-meter race (1:53.66) and Duffy has the second-fastest time in the 100-meter (2:28.20).

- L.R.