A letter from the College Democrats and Republicans

Student organizations can be the driving force in unifying the student body and bringing forth unparalleled levels of school spirit. In order for clubs, Greeks and other interested students to be involved in Student Confederation events and American University activities they must be folded into the decision process.

A very simple two-pronged approach can be used to do this. First clubs will be allocated, through the American University Club Council, their base funding, no different than the system now. But instead of a system by which 130 clubs go out and do 130 different events, there would additional monies appropriated to the AUCC by the GA for the purpose of developing campus-wide events. Clubs would be rewarded for creating broad coalitions that include clubs large and small, Greek organizations and Student Confederation offices. The reward would be additional money for the programming, so that clubs do not have to foot the bill entirely themselves.

The result is numerous clubs participating and encouraging their members to participate, with the traditional programming hurdles of money and attendance over come. The second prong is to give organizations a vested interest in attending Student Confederation events, American University Athletics and these new organization directed activities.

This can be achieved be giving clubs incentives for turning their membership out at events. Using a modified form of the "Greek Achievement Points," the system under which Greeks are rewarded for attending athletic events, clubs can be rewarded. Clubs can be honored and awarded on a monthly, semester and yearly basis for levels of participation and activity. Rewards can be a simple as free Subway sandwiches at the next membership meeting for the monthly winners, with extra AUCC allocations for the semester and yearly winners.

The finer points can be negotiated out between the AUCC, the SC and the GA. What will be important is that club leaders, Greek leaders and interested students be involved. By bringing organizations in the fold, through a rewarding points system, attendance at events will increase and club productivity will soar. The best part is, the true winners in it all are the students, because their Student Activity Fee will be maximized.

We welcome the opportunity to discuss the above with current and prospective members of all branches of the Student Confederation.

Noah Black is a junior in the School of Public Affairs and is president of the College Democrats. Ibbie Hedrick is a senior in the School of Public Affairs and is president of the College Republicans.