SC vice president resigns

Student Confederation Vice President Marguerite Meyer resigned Sunday night, effective next semester, for personal reasons and part-time student status.

"I am not going to return next semester as vice president," Meyer said. "It has not been my choice to do so, but realistically speaking, I am only taking one class next semester, and, as a part-time student, I cannot stay in my position."

Meyer made the announcement at an SC Cabinet meeting in which students met with their representatives and administrators to discuss the SC's performance this semester. The crowd gave Meyer a standing ovation after making her announcement and many attendees took their turn saying goodbye.

"I'm clearly upset, but she needs to get her life in order," SC President Nick Terzulli said.

Meyer, a junior in the School of International Service, is taking only one course next semester due to four incomplete courses over the spring, summer and fall 2003 semesters.

Meyer reflected fondly on her time as vice president, which started when she was appointed last April.

"I've had a wonderful time," Meyer said. "It has been just a tremendous experience for me, making a lot of friends and actually being able to have an impact for the students."

The SC elections last spring failed to elect a vice president. After a shift of power from elected President Haley Stevens, who resigned in order to study abroad, to Terzulli, Meyer stepped up as a possibility after showing interest as the Leonard Hall Representative in the General Assembly. According to SC Bylaws, appointments to executive positions must come from the GA.

"[My favorite part is] just being able to be a part of what the SC will be and knowing that as they progress and as they have more and more interested in what the students want and what the students need," Meyer said, "[I know] that that's going to make a real impact."

Meyer's resignation leaves two of the SC's biggest programming events upcoming, the Founder's Day Ball and Artemis Ward Festival. The GA will be meeting with Terzulli at the beginning of the new semester as he announces his candidate to replace Meyer.

"I don't know what we're going to do next semester," Terzulli said. "I have a few ideas but I'm going to take Christmas break to sleep on it."

Terzulli is still considering whether the position will be open to application or if he will just approach a candidate.

GA College of Arts and Sciences Representative Jason Trombley has expressed interest in being a candidate to replace Meyer. Trombley chairs the GA's Programmatic Review Committee, which covers the budget for all SC programming.

Trombley responded to speculation that he would step up as, "the logical choice."

"If [Terzulli] does ask me to do it, I think that I would be relatively qualified," Trombley said. "I would love to see myself doing that in the spring, if it is a possibility because it is something that I love."

Terzulli would not comment on whether Trombley was being considered for the post. If the position was opened for application, Trombley said he would apply.

The matter of Meyer's replacement will come before the GA at the start of the new semester. This is the second year in a row that the SC vice president resigned mid-year. Last fall, Emily Town resigned as vice president and was replaced by Zen Hunter-Ishikawa after a month-long application process.

Terzulli praised Meyer's work as vice president, citing Eagle Nights as a key success.

"You can't argue with Eagle Nights," Terzulli said. "It is one of the most successful departments in the entire cabinet."

Of her programming ventures, Meyer noted the Sept. 11 community service project as her favorite.

"[It was my favorite in] being able to gather at least a few students together to go and help people who are less fortunate," Meyer said. "We were able to remember the victims of Sept. 11, not just by holding a candle in a vigil, but by actually doing something to benefit the community at large"