The GA is now a broken institution

Ever since I was first elected to serve in the General Assembly, I have been one of its staunchest defenders. Whatever the GA's imperfections, I fought, challenged, and refuted those who sought to undermine the body's importance and legitimacy.

As it stands today, it is a great misfortune that I can no longer support the recent decisions of the GA. Such actions have already set the assembly on a new yet perilous course.

Where did it all go wrong? Well, consider this:

On Nov. 9, a coalition of inexperienced members, eager to flex their political muscle, led by a small gang of embittered Student Confederation careerists pulled off what amounts to a coup. After formulating legislation to radically alter the bylaws governing the GA at clandestine 2 a.m. meetings (which they proudly admit doing), this very bill was shoved down the throats of the assembly in a single night with little time for a rigorous review and thought-provoking debate. In essence, a mob sidestepped the legislative process, the very reason for having a student-led legislature, and prevailed through a combination of ruthless cunning, deception, and every manner of political chicanery.ÿ Even worse, this vicious cadre actually singled out a colleague of mine to harass and intimidate. And those responsible for that appalling act of skullduggery as well as steamrolling a heinous bill deserve nothing less than our full scorn.

Indeed, it is with the grandest of irony, that these same malcontents have proclaimed themselves to be proponents of "reform" and "transparency." Nothing could be further from the truth. They have so convinced themselves of their lies that few (within this faction) will even entertain the notion that shadowy groups colluding for political gain, when 99.8 percent of the campus is asleep, hardly merits the distinction of acting in the interests of "democracy" and "accountability."ÿ Furthermore, two of the leading conspirators behind this maneuver were non-GA executives, people who are paid from your activity fee. One wasn't even elected and the other has consistently failed to do her job despite repeated warnings from her co-workers. Yes, this is your student government at its best! ÿ The damage from the debacle that has ensued over the past two weeks is repairable. The next speaker will have to firmly grasp the helm and guide the GA down a far more productive path. He or she will have to remind members that a committee system exists for a reason, that deliberations are meant to stimulate ideas not quash them, and that democracy is built on a foundation of law and reason rather than the impulses of unrestrained majorities.ÿ

Zachary Constantino is the former speaker of the GA. He is also a junior in the School of Public Affairs.