Pataki speaks for parents weekend

The innovation of new ideas in medicine, engineering, computer science and other fields is essential for America to integrate itself into an increasingly global economy, New York Gov. George Pataki told an audience of 800 AU students, parents, faculty and staff Saturday night in Bender Arena.

"What we have to do, is what America has always done, and that's innovate," he said. "Let's be ahead of the curve. Let's develop the new products, the new research and the new breakthroughs that are going to drive the 21st century economy."

Pataki, in his third term as governor, delivered his 45 minute speech, sponsored by the Kennedy Political Union and the Student Confederation, as part of Family Weekend.

He pointed to his state's "Centers of Excellence" as examples of "American ingenuity" and New York's ability to modernize and compete with globalization.

Centers of Excellence are spotted throughout the state and bring together four different elements of industry including the private sector, universities, government support and missing capital, he said.

One of the most interesting innovations, that can be replicated across the country, is taking place in Albany right now, he said.

"Thanks to a $100 million grant from IBM, we are building a prototype 30 millimeter chip manufacturing facility," Pataki said. "Any company with a new concept...can use that prototype production line to experiment and develop those breakthrough technologies and build them right in the United States."

He also advocated the development of renewable energy sources and pledged that by 2010, 25 percent of New York's energy would come from renewable sources.

"There is absolutely no reason in my mind why, in the 21st century, we are still over dependent and reliant on foreign sources of oil," he said.

Last month, Pataki cut the ribbon on the first solar-powered high-rise apartment building in the world, in downtown Manhattan.

The building uses 40 percent less energy than a traditional high-rise and can be duplicated throughout the country, he said.

He used President John F. Kennedy's promise to put a man on the moon by the end of the 1960s as motivation for achieving his goal of 25 percent dependence on renewable sources of energy.

Pataki also addressed the war on terror and said it's a war we must win for future generations.

"I think we're far better having our military fight Iraqi and Al-Queda terrorists on the streets of Baghdad than having our firefighters fight them on the streets of New York," he said.

During the question and answer period, Michael Whitney, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, asked what Pataki planned to do to revitalize the stagnant economy of western New York.

Pataki said he would continue developing the growing bio-informatics field at the University of Buffalo that would ultimately create new jobs, but Whitney said he wasn't pleased with that answer.

"The everyday person in upstate New York isn't going to be doing bio-informatics jobs and those people are still unemployed," he said.

Renee Brownstein, mother of AU student Laura Brownstein and Rochester NY native, agreed that Pataki needs to focus his long-term strategy for western New York.

"You can't expect a bio-informatics kind of approach to overcome the kind of layoffs we've been seeing at the big companies like Kodak and Xerox," she said.

Whitney said the statewide politicians have been neglecting upstate New York and need to visit more often to address economic concerns.

Jim Brownstein said Pataki's time would be better spent addressing these concerns rather than speaking at out-of-state functions.

"I think he should be at home addressing the budget problems," Brownstein said. "The state of New York hasn't had a budget on time in years and school districts and other agencies that depend on state funding are left hanging in the lurch."

Ibbie Hedrick, President of the College Republicans at AU, said intelligent and thoughtful speakers like Pataki are good for the whole country, not just his own state.

"There's a lot to be gained from hearing from people who are intelligent and educated by issues," Hedrick said. "It's important that we have those people out there...spreading information about renewable resources and its technology and those types of innovative approaches."

KPU Director Eric Morely said he looked for a speaker who would appeal to the large number of families from the Northeast region and recognize Pataki's name.

"We looked for a stately figure and we looked for someone who would potentially be a draw," Morely said. "And with so many of our students and families from the I-95 region-New Jersey, New York