Exclusively online: Sorority sponsors Make-A-Wish fundraiser

Chi Omega sorority will hold a fundraiser for The Make-A-Wish Foundation of the Mid-Atlantic today at Austin Grill in Glover Park. The restaurant will donate half of its sales from the evening to Make-A-Wish, as long as patrons sign "Make-A-Wish" on the back of their checks.

"We did a similar event last spring at another Austin Grill location, and it was a huge success," said Lucy Melcher, director of philanthropy for Chi Omega. "We anticipate this one to be even bigger, and we hope that the AU community will come out to support Make-A-Wish."

For more than 20 years, The Make-A-Wish Foundation has granted wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses including trips to Disney World and meeting celebrities. The organization has 80 chapters in the United States, more than 25,000 volunteers and more than 97,000 wishes granted.

"We hope to be able to grant a wish with the money raised at this event," said J.J. Storer, president of Chi Omega at AU. "In addition to the money from Austin Grill, we will have a raffle and a silent auction with great prizes."

Those prizes include Redskins and Wizards tickets.

Austin Grill is located at 2404 Wisconsin Ave., in Glover Park. The event starts at 6 p.m.

- JOSEPH POPIOLKOWSKI