Mud rompers pay for play

The University is asking the students and University staff involved in damaging the Quad - of which they have identified 75 to 80 students and a handful of staff members - to come forward and pay restitutions, according to Gail Hanson, vice president of Campus Life.

During Hurricane Isabel last Thursday night, about 100 students participated in a variety of games that resulted in a mud pit across a section of the Quad, producing $8,000 in damages, Hanson said. Charges to the residence halls from cleaning the excess mud students tracked in, most of which came from the mud pit, will be $842, Hanson said.

"There isn't anyone that thinks that this damage to the Quad was intentional," Hanson said, who said that the mess in the residence hall is being viewed as intentional. "You have to be responsible, whether or not you meant it."

Because of the incurred expense, the University will be asking for approximately $100 in restitution, Hanson said, and will be allowing donations of time in the form of service work to those unable to pay. "We can't hope to cover it all," Hanson said, "but we agree that it's expensive and quite substantial ... $100 is fair."

Some do not believe that students should be asked for restitution, however.

"So no one gets to protest their innocence," junior Mike Gronowski said. "I could've fell in the mud on the way to the shuttle ... I think it's kind of opportunistic on the University's part."

Others question the school asking for monetary compensation.

"That's a lot of money for a college student to shell out," junior Adam Frange said. "What that says to me is that the University could pay for it but they really don't want to."

If students do not pay restitution, the University is planning to charge them on an individual basis with damage to school property, which will be processed through Judicial Affairs and Media Services.

Factors included in the decision to ask students to pay restitution included the ability of the University to identify students - some came forward, others were witnessed by Desk Receptionists and Resident Assistants in the residence halls - the cost of damages and "a sense of the community," Hanson said.

The Office of Campus Life will be sending a letter to those identified asking them to come forward by Friday, before a grace period ending on Oct. 10. Those who do not step forward will be referred to Judicial Affairs and Mediation Services for disciplinary action and charged with damaging University property

"It was kids being kids," Student Confederation President Nick Terzulli said, who believes that judicial action should not be taken against students, "considering the area wasn't roped off and Public Safety was not there telling people to leave."

University staff members are also being investigated for their possible involvement in the damage to the Quad, including the Department of Public Safety.

"We are taking this seriously that people employed by the University were involved," said Hanson, who is pursuing all leads that they have.

Eagle Staff Writer Rebecca Bellville contributed to this report.