AU drops seven over winter break

The Eagles (3-13, 1-4) played straight through the AU's winter break, while most of the student body relaxed. The team eventually broke their eight-game losing streak half way through January.

In their first game after the break, the Eagles dropped a road game against James Madison 71-60. Sophomore Erin Brady scored 12 points with Senior Jina Lewis adding 12 points and Junior Hollie Steinman with 10 in a game where the Eagle's offense started hot, shooting 53.6 percent from the floor in the first half.

Things cooled off considerably in the second half, however, as the Eagles dropped to 36 percent shooting from the floor. Meanwhile, JMU surged ahead. The Dukes trailed AU by three at the half, but came out ferociously in the secondhalf to shoot 66.7 percent from the floor and 60 percent from behind the three-point line.

Thursday's loss falls in line with the Eagles winter break, which began on Dec. 17 against the Delaware University Blue Hens. In the midst of a three-game skid, the Eagles dropped their fourth straight to the Blue Hens 80-51. Sophomore Maria Werriers scored 12 points with senior forward Jina Lewis not farbehind with 10 points. Steinman held the team-high for rebounds with 10.

The Eagles fought against cross-town rival Georgetown University in their home gym on Dec. 21, losing 86-48. Freshman Kaitlin Schuyler was AU's leading scorer with 12 points.

The Eagles played at Old Dominion for a CAA conference game, yet continued on their losing streak on Jan. 2. The Lady Monarchs defeated AU 86-41 with Brady as the only AU player in double figures. She had 11 points off the bench with Werriers adding nine points.

Finally AU had a chance to play on their home court when they hosted William & Mary on Jan. 4. Senior Jina Lewis added eight points with a team-high 12 rebounds, three blocks and four steals. AU held the highest lead of the game with a seven-point advantage over W&M, but the final score reflected otherwise with AU's loss, 67-57.

When AU hosted Virginia Commonwealth, AU fought a hard battle on Jan. 7. Three Eagles players hit double-figures, but it still was not enough. Werriers scored 16 points, junior Danielle Johnson put in 15 points and Brady added 10 points to the final score. AU lost its third straight CAA game to Commonwealth, 72-56.

AU broke the eight-game losing streak defeating UNC Wilmington, 71-53 on Jan. 14. High scorers for AU were freshman Christina Black with a game-high of 14 points and five assists; Steinman scored 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds along with Werriers. Brady added 11 points and 6 steals.

The Eagles continue their CAA schedule this week with a home game on Thursday against East Carolina University at 7 p.m. in Bender Arena.