AU honors 9/11 victims

Correction appended

Twelve years later, AU held a Day of Service to commemorate the lives lost during 9/11.

The event began in the early morning with a moment of silence on the quad.

In the afternoon, students gathered to prepare sandwiches for a local non-profit, Martha’s Table, which aims to relieve child homelessness and develop “sustainable solutions to poverty.”

The Day of Service concluded with a candlelight vigil on the quad with performances by a cappella groups On a Sensual Note and Dime a Dozen.

Speakers at the vigil included Student Government President Pat Kelley, United Methodist Chaplain Mark Shaeffer, Hillel Director Jason Benkendorf and Muslim Chaplain Imad-ad-Dean Ahmad.

Justin Matheson, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, attended the vigil and lit a candle to represent the harrowing loss of life on that day.

“I decided to come out tonight because I think it’s good to come together as a country and remember what we went through and where we are going, united,” Matheson said.

AU’s student body represents the youngest generation to remember the 9/11 attacks, Kelly said during the vigil.

“Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it,” Ahmad said.

Editor’s Note: Check out our video and photo gallery on AU’s Day of Service.

Correction: A former version of this story incorrectly identified the a capella group singing as “On A Sensual Note.” It has been corrected to credit “Dime a Dozen.”

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.