Saturday, July 27, 2024
gamze article (2).png

Summer wardrobe essentials for the cool girls

Five must-haves for the summer

As the temperature climbs up to the 80s and the sun’s warmth kisses our skin, it can only mean one thing: summer is here. 

Just as nature transitions from spring to summer, it’s time to swap out any remaining layers with lighter fabrics and embrace the start of a new season. 

Here is a collection of essentials to start your seasonal wardrobe transition. 

Gingham Print

The start of warmer days means lots of picnics with your friends. There is no better way to capture the picnic spirit than with the classic gingham print. 

Style icons such as Jane Birkin have incorporated gingham print into their looks, effortlessly blending elegance with a touch of playfulness. A flowy mini dress or a skirt stand out as popular choices for this print. 

For something different, a scarf (whether tied around your neck, hair or bag handle), is a chic way to include this fun print in your look. Whether you’re strolling along the streets of Paris like Birkin or walking around campus, the gingham print is an elegant summer essential to elevate your look. 

Ballet Flats 

Mixing and matching various aesthetics adds a touch of creativity and personal expression to your look, and ballet flats are the perfect piece for that. 

Making its comeback this year, these shoes can be styled in lots of fun ways. Whether you’re aiming for a street-style look or something more polished, ballet flats effortlessly complement both aesthetics. 

They can be worn with baggy jeans and a tee for a laid-back look, or you can dress them up with a flowy dress and a straw bag. It’s entirely up to you to incorporate them in a way that resonates with your style, but ballet flats serve as the perfect finishing touch to a summer outfit. 

Oversized Sunglasses 

Playing with shape and proportion, oversized sunglasses are in, adding a bold statement to your look. 

Whether you opt for cat-eye frames or go for more of a square shape, the dramatic look of these glasses can instantly elevate any outfit. In addition, they can be styled with almost anything, from casual sweatpants to a chic sundress. 

Linen

Stylish and breathable, linen is the fabric of the season. 

Don’t get fooled by the labels on your clothes, stay away from polyester and invest in quality linen pieces. Not only does polyester harm our health and the environment (as it’s non-biodegradable), it also won’t keep you cool during summer since it traps heat. 

Linen will keep you cool and breezy during the hot summer weather. Incorporate it into your wardrobe as pants, pairing them with a white tee and your favorite sandals for effortless chic. 

Alternatively, opt in for linen shirts as layering pieces to keep you warm indoors. The styling possibilities are endless. Add some chunky gold jewelry for the ultimate European summer look or keep it casual with Adidas sneakers for an everyday vibe. 

Denim 

Denim is an essential wardrobe staple all year round. It’s a timeless piece that never goes out of style. 

You can go for an all-denim look for that retro feel or keep it to a minimum with only one piece of denim in your outfit. Whether it’s old-school denim jeans or a denim jacket, it will effortlessly elevate your style with its versatility and cool, timeless appeal. 

These are the essentials The Eagle has put together for our transition into the upcoming hotter season. Get creative, mix and match and express your style this summer. 

This article was edited by Eliza DuBose, Sara Winick and Abigail Turner. Copy editing by Luna Jinks and Charlie Mennuti.  

style@theeagleonline.com