monthly reads stock pic

April reads to welcome the warmer months

Five books to add to your summer reading list

As April arrives, warm weather is on the horizon and the school year is winding down. There’s nothing like sitting outside with a book on a sunny day, maybe with a cold drink or an ice cream cone. 

Here are five books that radiate warmer vibes for your reading pleasure:

Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens

This New York Times bestseller was adapted into a major motion picture in 2022. The novel follows Kya Clark, who is abandoned by her parents at a young age. She learns to survive on her own in the marshes of North Carolina on the outskirts of society. 

When a popular man from town, Chase Andrews, is found dead, Kya becomes the prime suspect to seemingly everyone. In a story that jumps back and forth between Kya’s childhood and the present (1969) when she is a young adult, the ever-present marsh that Kya lives on and her relationship with the animals around her highlight a deep human connection to nature. 

Malibu Rising” by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Set in August of 1983, “Malibu Rising” tells the story of surfer and model Nina Riva, her siblings and their mostly absent father, Mick Riva, a famous singer. Nina hosts her annual end-of-summer party, but by the end of the night, everything is a complete and out-of-control disaster. 

Exploring the intricacies of familial relationships and beautifully written by the author of “Daisy Jones & The Six” and “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo,” the summer theme of “Malibu Rising” is evident in its Southern California setting. 

Call Me By Your Name” by André Aciman

This coming-of-age novel follows 17-year-old Elio and his romance with a man in his 20s who is staying with Elio’s family at their Italian villa for the summer. The well-known 2017 movie was born from the book, which was published a decade prior.

“Call Me By Your Name” is celebrated for its rich descriptive language, particularly in its portrayal of the lush Italian summer setting and the intense emotions of its characters. The summer season enhances the novel’s themes of love, longing and self-discovery. 

Book Lovers” by Emily Henry

If you’ve set foot in a bookstore in the last two years, you’ve probably seen this book. 

Emily Henry has established herself as a popular romance writer and has churned out one book per year since 2020. This year’s installment, “Funny Story,” is set to be released on April 23. 

“Book Lovers” follows Nora, a workaholic literary agent who takes a much needed month-long vacation with her sister to a small town in North Carolina. Much to her surprise, she stumbles upon her work nemesis, Charlie, and you can guess what happens from there. Set in August, “Book Lovers” is perfect to pick up this summer. 

These Precious Days: Essays” by Ann Patchett

In a series of essays, Patchett eloquently writes about themes such as the value of friendship, her relationship with her parents and more. 

The title essay tells of her unexpected friendship with Tom Hanks’ assistant, Sooki, and their journey together. Summer days are indeed precious, so what better way to savor them than by reading this book?

Happy reading and happy spring! 

This article was edited by Marina Zaczkiewicz, Sara Winick and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Leta Lattin and Charlie Mennuti. 

arts@theeagleonline.com