wlax v colgate

Raiders extend Eagles’ losing streak

AU falls to 0-3 in Patriot League play

The American University lacrosse team (4-6) took on the Colgate Raiders (1-8) 13-7 on March 23 on Jacobs Field.

The Eagles entered Saturday’s game against in the midst of a three-game losing streak in which they lost to Iona, Siena, and Lehigh bringing their record to 4-5. The Raiders on the other hand came into the game having not won a single game this season with a record of 0-8. Saturday’s game was in celebration of Pride and also honored AU lacrosse alumni at halftime. 

The Raiders opened the game with constant offensive time, which the defense managed to hold off until junior attacker Lauren Thompson scored the first goal for the Raiders. American responded through a goal from sophomore attacker Annabelle Jackson just three minutes later to even it up. 

American and Colgate traded turnovers and fouls before Lauren Thompson scored from a free-position shot to put the Raiders up once again. With the defensive pattern remaining the same, AU managed to equalize the score with 20 seconds left in the first with a goal from sophomore midfielder Reagan Murdoch, making it 2-2 at the end of the first.

The defensive battle continued during the second quarter, which saw a scoreless seven minutes in which AU could not convert their shot attempts. Colgate and junior attacker Kait Henning made AU pay with a free position shot. Once again the Eagles found a response through Murdoch. 

Colgate ended the half with two more goals including a last second free-position goal, while American only added one more goal from junior attacker Alyssa Apuzzo. At halftime Colgate was up 5-4, but American’s defense had kept them in the game thus far. 

The second half started the same way as AU was once again able to equalize through Murdoch on a free-position goal. However, the floodgates opened for Colgate as they scored five goals unanswered and AU’s offense couldn’t find a way to match their momentum, only producing three shots on goal. 

Goals from senior midfielder Hannah Spease and junior attacker Becca Frank gave the Eagles some life before the Raiders tallied three more to put the game out of reach, ending the matchup 13-7

“We’ve got to come together as a group,” head coach Lindsay Teeters said. “We got the shots off, you know, working on finishing and looking for those opportunities.” 

The Eagles had 21 shots on goal but found it difficult to score against freshman goalkeeper Lauren Solis who had 14 saves for the Raiders.

With the next six games against Patriot League opponents, Teeters said, “This is where you can have a second chance, new life. That’s going to be our focus as we head into the second part of the season.”

American will next go on the road to take on the Lafayette Leopards on March 27 at Fisher Stadium.

This article was edited by Penelope Jennings, Delaney Hoke and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks and Ariana Kavoossi.