People stand near the Tenleytown Metro stop in 2014.

Tenleytown-AU Metro station closed this weekend for construction

Free shuttle buses will stop at every station from Medical Center to Van Ness

Three Metro stations, including Tenleytown-AU, will be closed Saturday and Sunday for weekend construction.

The Friendship Heights and Bethesda stations will also be closed as Metro maintains and repairs tracks along the Red Line, the agency said in a reminder Friday. It announced the closures last month.

Free shuttle buses will run from the Medical Center station to Van Ness-UDC, with local service stopping at all three closed stations.

The shuttles will also run express service, going only from Medical Center to Van Ness-UDC without stopping at Tenleytown, Friendship Heights or Bethesda.

“Customers traveling through the full work zone should allow an additional 20-30 minutes of travel time to accommodate shuttle buses,” Metro said in the press release.

The closures split the Red Line into two segments: Medical Center to Shady Grove and Van Ness-UDC to Glenmont.

“Trains [on the Red Line] will run every 8 minutes during the day, every 10 minutes in the evening,” the transit agency said.

Additionally, three stations on the Green Line will be single-tracking: Mt. Vernon Square, Shaw-Howard University and U Street. Trains in both directions will run every 12 minutes, using only one side of each station’s set of tracks while workers replace lighting on the opposite side of the platform.

Metro announced the service changes a month in advance on its Planned Track Work page and in the Weekend Service advisory.

This article was edited by Abigail Hatting, Abigail Turner and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Isabelle Kravis and Olivia Citarella.

localnews@theeagleonline.com