MGC-stock.jpg

BREAKING: AU extending safety review to fall 2024

“To be clear, there have been no decisions to change our current practices.”

American University is extending its safety review into the fall 2024 semester, a year after the original review of plans, protocols and infrastructure began in fall 2023, according to an email from Chief Financial Officer Bronté Burleigh-Jones. 

Burleigh-Jones made it clear that the administration has made no decision to change its current practices. AUPD will discuss options, including on-campus situations involving firearms.

“As we stated when we began this process, bringing the question to the community does not presume any decision or outcome or that we will change our current approaches,” Burleigh-Jones wrote.

A working group of faculty, staff and students will continue to meet to “develop the review, outline key questions, and plan specific actions for community engagement and education.”

The email explains that the components of the review will include education, community forums, a “university-wide survey,” a project website and an assessment report that will be completed in the second half of the fall semester. 

The University will conduct its survey during the fall semester to better understand the AU community’s thoughts on questions of safety. 

At community sessions regarding the current state of AUPD and campus safety measures the University will share the information collected in the survey. Sessions will focus on an overview of AU’s approaches and procedures to campus safety along with emergency management and preparedness. 

These community forums will be conducted in September and October.

The last update, sent on Oct. 4, stated that the specific plans involve AUPD radio systems, emergency mass notification methods, security cameras, residence hall security, remote campus and classroom lockdown systems, law enforcement partnerships, emergency preparedness, sustainable threat assessment capability and active shooter and armed shooter policies. University officials also said in the announcement they are considering arming AUPD officers with firearms, but have taken no such action.

“We understand this question and its history generate strong views and we are focused on engaging and listening to our community on all aspects of this topic,” Burleigh-Jones wrote.

This article was edited by Tyler Davis, Abigail Turner and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing by Luna Jinks, Isabelle Kravis and Sarah Clayton.

administration@theeagleonline.com