Roper no caption

BREAKING: Water shut off in Roper Hall until 1 p.m. due to ‘emergency’ water main issue

Facilities Management will inspect for water damage

Water will be shut off in Roper Hall until approximately 1 p.m. due to an “emergency issue” with the residence hall’s water main, according to an email sent from Housing and Residence Life to the hall’s residents Jan. 26. Roper Hall is home to about 50 residents in the University’s Black Affinity Housing program.

Facilities Management identified the issue with the water main at approximately 9:30 a.m. and the shut off began at 10 a.m. Friday. Residents were notified at 10:04 a.m., according to emails obtained by The Eagle.

The email also stated that residents may “notice Facilities Management teams inspecting within the building to ensure that no lasting water damage has occurred.”

Update: At 12:37 p.m. some residents of Roper Hall were notified that they will be relocated to different rooms within the building if their current rooms are “impacted,” according to emails obtained by The Eagle. It is currently unclear how many residents will be relocated, if the relocation is temporary and the extent of any damage caused by the water main issue.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Vanessa Brum contributed reporting to this article.

This article was edited by Kathryn Squyres, Abigail Turner and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks.