fall market pic

Georgetown Fall Market: An autumnal shopping experience

Small businesses and the D.C. community gather to celebrate the start of fall

The Georgetown Fall Market, a fall-themed shopping experience, featured over 30 businesses with sales and fall-inspired menus from Oct. 15 to 16.

The market was organized by Georgetown Main Street, a non-profit program dedicated to “maintaining and improving the climate for conducting business in Georgetown.” The non-profit program created Georgetown Fall Market following the success of the annual Georgetown French Market, which is hosted by the Georgetown Business Improvement District every April. 

The Fall Market provided business owner Caroline Le with a location to set up a pop-up shop for her small vintage clothing business. Le’s shop, Vintage by Caro, is based online and she typically makes most sales through Instagram. During the market, Le could sell her clothes in-person on P Street. 

“I think Fall Market is an opportunity to discover vendors you do not see on an everyday basis,” Le said. “The best part is walking down the street and seeing surprises, like the three dollar bouquets or small business pop-ups.” 

Sophie Scott, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, said that she loved the “fun fall atmosphere,” of the market. Scott attended the Fall Market with her mom and sister, who were in town for American University’s Family Weekend

“My family and I loved the Fall Market,” Scott said. “It was a good opportunity to learn about local businesses I don’t always get a chance to check out.” 

In addition to shopping, Georgetown Main Street provided the community with a fall-themed experience, including a pumpkin painting station, face painting, a photo backdrop and live music byBitter Dose. Lumen Salon offered a “Braid Bar” station where participants could have their hair professionally braided. Shoppers could also browse used books at Georgetown Library Friends’ pop-up sale at the center of the market. 

Local restaurants also offered special deals. Jaco, a local juice and taco bar, offered half-off smoothies and discounted Mexican corn. Patisserie Poupon and Maman, French bakeries in Georgetown, both offered seasonal specials. 

Hank Boatright, a Maman employee and sophomore in the School of Public Affairs described his experience working at the French restaurant and bakery during Fall Market as bustling. Despite this, Boatright said, it was nice to see students and tourists walking around Georgetown. 

Due to a rain-saturated Saturday, Georgetown Main Street changed the first day to a “cozy edition” of the event. Instead of the usual outdoor sidewalk sales, most participating businesses either transitioned their stalls indoors or postponed their sales until Sunday. 

Sunday’s weather allowed for the sales and festivities to continue as planned. Several small businesses including Reddz Trading, A Mano and LiLi the First offered store-wide discounts. Shop Made in DC participated with fall-themed pop-ups with local artists. 

For those in search of art, L’Enfant Gallery of Georgetown offered special deals, including up to 50 percent off artwork including oil paintings and prints. Gallery Article 15, Calloway Fine Art & Consulting and Washington Printmakers Gallery also provided discounts to Fall Market shoppers. 

“Georgetown’s Fall Market is the perfect opportunity for pop-ups and local businesses to shine. It is a great opportunity for the community to get together, shop locally and sustainably and celebrate fall,” Le said. “You see the best of the best of D.C. all in one spot.” 

This article was edited by Maria Tedesco, Patricia McGee and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis and Charlie Mennuti.

life@theeagleonline.com