coming out day pic

Center for Diversity and Inclusion hosts National Coming Out Day fair

CDI stands featured LGBTQ-related historical information, games and merch

An Oct. 11 National Coming Out Day fair for American University students featured games, flags, pins and information about historical LGBTQ+ figures.

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion, along with the Center for Student Involvement and the Spirit and Traditions Board, hosted the fair on the quad. 

“We’re basically just celebrating queer joy and coming out as something … that doesn’t need to be stigmatized,” said Aaditi Narayanan, a graduate assistant for LGBTQIA programming and education at CDI. 

Attendees wrote anonymous letters with supportive messages to LGBTQ+ students on campus, collected pride flags and pins and learned about historical LGBTQ+ figures. The fair also hosted a plushie-stuffing station, tables with CSI merch and rainbow cookies and stands with information about upcoming LGBTQ+ events sponsored by CDI and CSI. 

“We wanted to create an event that was focused on resources and letting AU students know that this is a safe haven for LGBTQ+ students,” said Salvatore Cottone, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and the deputy director for diversity, equity and inclusion for the Spirits and Traditions Board. 

“We want [students who are not out] to feel as comfortable as possible,” Cottone said. “There is this space open for them.”

CDI and CSI have hosted multiple LGBTQ+ events throughout the month of October, including an event for International Pronouns Day on Oct. 18 and a celebration of Asexual Awareness Week on Oct. 23. 

“It was really refreshing seeing many individuals join together in celebration,” said Richie Young, a sophomore in SPA. “I was happy to see everyone smile, sing and even dance to Beyoncé.” 

This article was edited by Kate Corliss, Zoe Bell, Jordan Young and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis.

campuslife@theeagleonline.com