Weekend Watchlist: Movies for the back to school season

Movies to watch as you're settling into school

With the beginning of a new semester and building academic stress, it can be hard to wind down at the end of the day. To help you out, The Eagle has assembled a list of entertaining and nostalgic movies for the back to school season. Whether it’s a movie night with friends or laying in bed after a hard day of classes, these movies are perfect to celebrate a fresh start to the academic year.

Coach Carter (2005)

Based on a true story, “Coach Carter” tells the dramatic story of Ken Carter (Samuel L. Jackson), a high school basketball coach. After becoming the coach for the Richmond High School basketball team, Carter decides to bench his whole team for breaking a contract to thrive academically. His decision causes controversy in the community, which seems more concerned with winning than anything else. This film illustrates the power of perseverance and the benefits of a strong role model. 

“Coach Carter” is available to rent or buy on Prime Video. 

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)

“Napoleon Dynamite” follows an awkward high school student, Napoleon (John Heder), who is bullied. He struggles to find his place in the social order of his American high school, until he ends up making friends and helping one of them run for class president. Viewers might find Napoleon’s obsession with tater tots strange, but they should remember how thrilled they were when they first spotted that very same food in the Terrace Dining Room. In addition to emphasizing the importance of individuality, this film shows how important it is to surround yourself with good friends.

“Napoleon Dynamite” is available to rent or buy on Prime Video. 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

If students were to ask their parents what they believe the quintessential back to school movie is, many would probably suggest “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.” Played by Matthew Broderick, Bueller managed to convince innumerable students that it's alright to skip school every once in a while. The movie follows Ferris as he takes desperate measures to take a day off, much to the distress of his school’s administrative personnel. This throwback comedy is the perfect choice for those looking for a good laugh. 

“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is available to stream on Netflix. 

School of Rock (2003)

“School of Rock,” a musical comedy, introduces aspiring rockstar Dewey Finn (Jack Black) when he is kicked out of his band. Subsequently, Finn poses as a substitute teacher at a prestigious private elementary school and tries to turn his class of pre-teens into a rock band to win a local ‘Battle of the Bands’ competition. Black’s comedic portrayal of Dewey Finn makes this film an essential item for any back to school watchlist. 

“School of Rock" is available to rent or buy on Prime Video. 

St. Vincent (2014)

For anyone wondering if there would be a tear jerker on this list, look no further than this last film. “St. Vincent” tells the story of a young boy (Jaeden Martell) who connects with Vincent (Bill Murray), a crude and anti-social veteran who eventually becomes the boy’s friend and mentor. Throughout the film, this mismatched pair learns from each other to discover the value of seeing good in others when they can’t see it themselves. 

“St. Vincent” is available to stream on Prime Video.

This article was edited by Bailey Hobbs, Patricia McGee and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis. 

life@theeagleonline.com