IMG_3927.jpg

REVIEW: Top restaurants offer discounted prices for Restaurant Week

Restaurant Week makes upscale restaurants more accessible

Over 150 of  the District’s top restaurants participated in Metropolitan Washington Restaurant Week, from Aug. 28 to Sept. 3, where patrons could try their menus at a fixed and discounted price. 

During Restaurant Week, diners can buy lunch for $25 and dinner for $40 or $55. The meals range from four courses to all-you-can-eat feasts. The event is hosted by the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington. Many of the participating restaurants have Michelin stars or Bib Gourmand awards, a Michelin recognition for high quality food at an affordable price.

Temporarily lowered prices allow more people to try some of the best food the District has to offer. Michelin star restaurant Bresca usually offers three-course dinners for $88, compared to $55 this week. 

For restaurant week, The Eagle visited Ambar, an eastern European cuisine restaurant in Capitol Hill. They offered a dinner of unlimited small plates and a dessert for a fixed price of $55. The location has indoor and outdoor seating. 

The best dishes of the evening were the istrian gnocchi, slow roasted lamb, cauliflower and sesame seared salmon. The gnocchi was whipped in a truffle cream sauce, which provided a comforting and buttery blend that paired perfectly with the spiced dishes. The lamb was served tender with a refreshing mix of vegetables, begging to be re-ordered. Cauliflower, usually an unassuming vegetable, was simple yet seasoned to perfection with salt and a dash of tahini sauce. 

The restaurant offers vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options, including a special menu for those with dietary restrictions. The staff were attentive and accommodating, resulting in an all-around lovely dining experience.

The next Restaurant Week will likely fall in the middle of January, with exact dates to be announced in the coming months. 

The Restaurant Week concept began in New York City in 1992, to welcome and appreciate the thousands of reporters in the city for the Democratic National Convention. The event has since spread across the country, and was adopted by the District in 2001 to support the economy and encourage people to dine out after 9/11. 

This article was edited by Maria Tedesco, Patricia McGee and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis.

life@theeagleonline.com