CAS stock.jpg

Peter Starr to step down as University provost

Vicky Wilkins will serve as acting provost in interim

Peter Starr will be stepping down from his position as provost on June 30 and is returning to the College of Arts and Sciences faculty, according to an email sent out to the University community on June 6.

During his past three years as provost, Starr’s core focus was on enhancing faculty hiring and retention, according to the email. He led the creation of the new “continuing appointment” hiring framework, and helped to increase diversity in new faculty hires. 

In his efforts to support students, Starr worked with academic teams to realign advising and helped to launch the Office of Global & Immersive Studies, consolidating the Universities efforts in study abroad programs and international recruitment. 

Starr previously served as the dean of CAS, as well as a professor of literature. He worked toward the development and opening of the Hall of Science and the growth of the Katzen Museum “including the acquisition of the $30 million Corcoran Legacy Collection.” He also worked with faculty experts to launch multiple research entities, such as the Antiracist Research and Policy Center, the Center for Neuroscience and Behavior and the Center on Health, Risk, and Society. 

Starr will take a sabbatical before returning to teaching. 

Vicky Wilkins, the current dean of the School of Public Affairs, will serve as acting provost beginning July 1. Current Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Alison Jacknowitz will serve as interim dean of SPA. 

More information regarding the search for a new provost will be shared in the fall semester. 

This Article was edited by Jordan Young and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis.

tdavis@theeagleonline.com