new tennis jpeg.jpg

Meet American University’s undefeated tennis team

Looking for a club sport with a competitive edge? Then club tennis is the team for you.

Whether you are looking for a fun pastime or an activity to unleash your competitive side, American University’s club tennis team is the place for you. 

Daniel Gomez, who has been playing tennis since he was seven years old, joined AU’s club tennis team during his freshman year. He is now a sophomore and playing with the team has become a staple of his daily routine. 

“I come here every day to de-stress,” Gomez said. 

One of Gomez’s favorite aspects of the team is how accommodating club tennis is. There are two different teams geared towards different types of players — the competitive team and the social team. 

The competitive team meets throughout the week to train at a higher level, competing in the Mid-Atlantic Region for the USTA Tennis On Campus and collegiate-hosted tournaments. Players on the competitive team tend to have years of experience, with many having played at the varsity level in high school. Rain or shine, the competitive team is on the courts Monday through Saturday. 

The competitive team plays in tournaments such as the Georgetown University Tournament and the University of Maryland Tournament with other schools in the D.C. area.

The social team is perfect for those interested in joining a team, but not at a competitive level. Founded in 2008, the social team offers six practices a week and a sense of community for those with a passion for tennis. It has won every tournament since the beginning of the season. Despite this extensive winning streak, the team is able to maintain a bond in a competitive atmosphere. 

Oliver Pasek, the team’s men’s captain, enjoys being a part of the social team on and off the court. 

“We get dinner together,” Pasek said. 

These dinners foster the players’ bond and allow them to perform at such a high caliber, Pasek said. 

The American University club tennis team can be found on Instagram @auclubtennis.

This article was edited by Delaney Hoke and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis and Natasha LaChac.

hnewlontrujillo@theeagleonline.com