M3.jpg

Lacrosse loses as Mountain Hawks swoop in

AU’s comeback not enough to topple Lehigh

The American University lacrosse team (6-6) fell to the Lehigh Mountain Hawks (8-5) in their April 8 game 11-16.

Before the Eagles’ game, they honored their six seniors and all of their contributions to the program. After a quiet first few minutes, freshman attacker Annabelle Jackson opened the day’s scoring. The Mountain Hawks quickly bounced back as they scored twice within 50 seconds. 

Lehigh’s 2 goals had come shortly after Jackson’s, but the scoring paused for about seven minutes until junior midfielder Hannah Spease fired home her 20th goal of the season. Spease’s goal tied the game at 2, but the Mountain Hawks went on a run and scored 6 goals in a row through the end of the first quarter and into the beginning of the second.

American countered with their own run of 4 goals in a row, featuring 2 from freshman attacker Rachel Kolton; however, they remained down by 2. Kolton’s second goal was the first of 11 combined goals scored in an active third quarter. The Mountain Hawks followed up with another 3 goals in a row, two of which came 20 seconds apart. American responded with 2 goals of their own as Jackson and Spease scored their seconds of the game, but Lehigh remained ahead by 3 goals.

The Mountain Hawks and the Eagles alternated scoring to close out the third quarter, but Lehigh scored 3 to American’s 2 and held onto the lead. Entering the fourth quarter up 14-10, the Mountain Hawks did not relent. They proceeded to score twice more in the first few minutes of the quarter, increasing their lead to 6 goals. Kolton completed her hat trick with three minutes to go in the game, but it would not be enough as American fell to Lehigh, 16-11.

The Eagles’ 11 goals came from Jackson and Kolton, who each had 3, Spease and freshman midfielder Kellie Linehan, each adding 2, and sophomore midfielder Becca Frank. Jackson’s 3 goals in this contest put her season total at 24, the highest mark on the team.

The Eagles next take on the Navy Midshipmen on Wednesday, April 12 at 4 p.m. for their mental health awareness game on Jacobs Field.

This article was edited by Delaney Hoke and Nina Heller. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis and Natasha LaChac.

pjennings@theeagleonline.com