DSC00293.jpg

Women’s basketball season ends in loss to Holy Cross

Lauren Stack shined in a tough game

The American University women’s basketball team (9-22) lost to the Holy Cross Crusaders (22-8) in their March 6 matchup 73-44.

American started the scoring for the game, thanks to jumpers from junior guard Ivy Bales and senior forward Lauren Stack. The Crusaders quickly evened up the score, but the Eagles kept pace. Bales added another jumper after Holy Cross tied the game, and junior guard Kayla Henning contributed a layup after the Crusaders tied it up again. Bales increased the Eagles’ lead to 10-6 with two successful free throws. The Crusaders evened up the score before the first quarter concluded, and they went into the second quarter tied at 10-10.

American began the second quarter much like they ended the first, as junior guard Anna LeMaster hit a 3-pointer to put AU back in the lead. Holy Cross began to step ahead, but an 8-point run from Stack brought the Eagles within reach. Senior guard Sadie Stetson tied the game with a layup and took what would be AU’s final lead of the game with a free throw. At this point, American led 24-23. The Eagles were off their previous rhythm as they missed a number of shots and were having foul trouble as Holy Cross ended the half ahead 31-24.

AU continued their streak of getting the first points of the quarter with a jumper by junior forward Emily Johns, though their sporadic scoring could not stop the Crusaders. American struggled to make shots in the third quarter as Holy Cross pulled ahead by as much as 15 points. Johns, Stack and Henning were the only Eagles to score in the third quarter, putting up just 8 points between the three of them. 

LeMaster made a free throw to begin the final quarter of the game to pull American within 14. AU did not score again for another three minutes as Stetson nailed a 3-pointer to bring the score to 56-36. Stack and Henning contributed another layup and free throw, respectively, but Holy Cross’ lead was far too substantial at this point. Freshman guard Anna Rescifina subbed into the game with just under four minutes left and scored the Eagles’ final 5 points of the game. Her efforts made a small dent in Holy Cross’ lead and brought the deficit down from its peak of 30 points. The Crusaders defeated the Eagles by a score of 73-44 to advance in the Patriot League tournament and face Lehigh.

American’s field goal percentage in the loss was just .288, compared to Holy Cross’ .609. There was a similar deficit between their 3-pointer percentages, though the two teams had identical free throw percentages. Stack played an astounding 38 minutes after playing 40 minutes in the Eagles’ defeat of Navy in the first round. Johns, on the other hand, played just 11 minutes after getting into foul trouble. Stack led the team in scoring with 16, and was followed 10 points behind by Stetson and Bales with 6 points each.

After winning the 2022 Patriot League Championship, the Eagles’ 2023 season comes to an end in the second round.

This article was edited by Delaney Hoke and Nina Heller. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis, Sophia Rocha, Natasha LaChac and Sophia Rocha.

pjennings@theeagleonline.com