09E5400B-F575-4724-A8CB-3B8778273143_1_102_a.jpeg

Valentine’s Day playlists: Music for those lovesick or sick of love

Whether heartbroken or in love, The Eagle has a playlist for everyone this Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is here, and nothing expresses the complicated emotions of this holiday better than a perfect song. Luckily, we sifted through the endless catalog of love and breakup songs and picked some to match any mood you may be feeling this year.

For the hopeless romantics:

Music is the perfect way to indulge your romantic side this Valentine’s Day. Whether you need a song to listen to while walking through the quad and romanticizing your life, or you want to send songs to a special someone, this playlist is the perfect soundtrack for lovebirds.   

Slow Burn”- Kacey Musgraves

Musgraves’ signature vocals and poetic lyrics steal the show in “Slow Burn,” an ode to taking things slow and enjoying the ride. Breezy, warm and full of life, Musgraves paints the carefree optimism of a blossoming romance.

Falling Slowly”- Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová

Simple and heart-achingly beautiful, folk singers Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová deliver raw and emotional vocal performances about the highs and lows of loving someone. The song was originally written for the equally heart-wrenching film “Once,” about two struggling musicians who fall for each other. 

Killing Me”- Omar Apollo

For anyone struggling to control their infatuation for someone else, try Omar Apollo’s slow jam “Killing Me.” His lyrics about longing for love and intimacy and incredible vocal dexterity make this smooth R&B track a perfect Valentine’s Day pick. 

sex”- EDEN

Catching feelings this Valentine’s Day? With an upbeat instrumental and an infectious chorus, EDEN captures the anxious excitement of falling for someone new. Depicting a one-night stand gone rogue, EDEN sings “remember why you said this was the last time” (famous last words) before immediately going back to his partner.

Best Part”- Daniel Caesar and H.E.R.

“Best Part,” a blockbuster collaboration between two of the most recognizable voices in R&B today, features Caesar and H.E.R.’s buttery, soulful vocals singing about finding joy in the simple parts of a relationship. “You’re my water when I’m stuck in the desert / you’re the Tylenol I take when my head hurts,” Caesar coos to his partner, the ideal blend of endearing and cheesy for all hopeless romantics. 

Can’t Believe The Way We Flow”- James Blake

Plug in your headphones and float away with James Blake’s “Can’t Believe the Way We Flow.” Blake, an acclaimed producer known for his high-profile collaborations with artists like Kendrick Lamar and Beyoncé, effortlessly flips a doo-wop sample into an ethereal, blissful song about when two people truly connect.

For the romance cynics: 

Here’s a playlist to listen to while having your main character moment indulging in a pint of ice cream, scoffing at the cheesy rose bouquets and chocolates, or pondering love and loss this Valentine’s Day. 

All I Wanted” - Paramore 

There’s nothing to cure heartbreak like screaming along to early 2000’s alternative music. When lead singer Hayley Williams belts “All I wanted was you” over and over again, it’s simply therapeutic — there are no other words. 

Planet With Water” - Charlie Hickey

Hickey’s craftful metaphors and lyricism in this song makes it absolutely gut-wrenching despite the simple acoustic instrumentals. “Planet With Water” revolves around the concept that a planet with water, similar to his past relationship, is one of a kind and he can’t survive anywhere else. If heartbreak is keeping you up late at night and you need a good song to cry to, this is the perfect one. 

Blur” - Pleasure Systems 

This mellow and melancholic indie tune feels like a time capsule with swelling instrumentals and reflective lyrics about missing a past relationship. The lyrics, “I knew that I could love and you offered me the proof / And I loved you, and I always will / And you loved me, I can feel it still,” reminisce on how first loves linger. If you’re feeling reflective, listen to this song, but make sure to have tissues on hand when you do. 

Charm You” - Samia 

From her new album “Honey,” Samia perfectly distills the feeling of being tired of love and giving energy to romantic partners. The upbeat pop synths and guitar of this track mask dismal lyrics like “I don't wanna charm anyone this time / I don't wanna make anybody mine / Mostly it's just I don't wanna end up crying.” The song’s writing encapsulates how exhausting heartbreak can be. 

Change” - Big Thief 

The opening track on Big Thief’s most recent album “Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You” is a simple and stunning acoustic song. As they sing “Would you stare forever at the sun? / And never watch the moon rise in?,” the question they pose makes you reflect that although heartbreak may seem all encompassing and terrible at first, there is beauty in these negative moments and they make us more appreciative of the positive in life. 

No matter what songs or playlist you relate to more, music has the unique ability to articulate emotion and allow us to reflect on the relationships and love in our lives. 

This article was edited by Sara Winick and Nina Heller. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis and Stella Guzik.

bhobbs@theeagleonline.com 

kbill@theeagleonline.com