wsoc v lafayette.jpeg

Women’s soccer ties Lafayette 2-2 in Sunday’s matchup, marking the sixth tie of the season

Sophomore Jordan Mahony scores first career goal

The American University women’s soccer team returned to Reeves Field on Oct. 2 with an in-conference game against Lafayette, ultimately resulting in a 2-2 draw. It was a game of hard offensive crosses, though the ability to connect in the box remained lacking. 

Lafayette took the lead at the 27th minute with an unassisted goal by the Leopards’ April McDonald. AU’s defense worked to transition the ball back up and give the offense an opportunity to cross the ball and put a final touch into the net.

“After Lafayette's first goal, the urgency on the field hit us. It took that for us to realize we’re in the game now,” said Head Coach Marsha Harper.

Offensive players Cailin Panacek and Alysa Vasquez worked to outpace the Leopards’ defense and make a connection in the box. The teams battled back and forth, putting pressure on both goalies to stay on their toes from start to finish. 

An assist from sophomore defender Jordan Mahony to sophomore forward Olivia Simmons tied the game 1-1. 

“Essentially, we treat it like 0-0 when coming back from halftime,” Mahony said. “We knew there was still lots of game left to be played and lots more we could do.”

Lafayette's Sara Oswald scored off an assist from McDonald to give Lafayette a 2-1 lead in the second half. 

AU fiercely fought against the clock while Mahony and Izzy Kadzban worked relentlessly to connect in the box. In the 82nd minute, Mahony scored a goal assisted by Kadzban. 

“On the field we naturally connect with each other, and I’m glad we were able to do that,” Mahony said. 

American and Lafayette were once again tied, both teams fighting hard to take the lead and capture another Patriot League win. Panacek crossed through defenders repeatedly in an effort to find a teammate's foot in the box and help them finish for the goal.

Despite the Eagles and Leopards both taking four shots each in the second half, neither was able to break the tie. 

“The result reflects where we are. We had some really good attacking moments and then unfortunately some defensive balls that went the other way,” Harper said. 

American fell to their Patriot League opponent, Army, 1-0, this past Saturday Oct.1. 

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.