Tuesday, March 19, 2024
unnamed (1).jpeg

‘These Hands Don’t Haze’: AU Phi Mu tables for National Hazing Prevention Week

AU’s Phi Mu chapter hosted events throughout the week to raise awareness for hazing prevention

The American University chapter of Phi Mu tabled on the quad on Sept. 21 in effort of National Hazing Prevention Week, which is dedicated to raising awareness on the issues surrounding hazing, especially as students return to campus. 

National Hazing Prevention Week is a week-long event on college campuses across the country that aims to bring awareness to the dangers of hazing as students return back to school. The theme for 2022 was “Stronger Together.” 

Jill Henry, a sophomore in the School of International Service and AU Phi Mu’s director of harm reduction and prevention, said she felt the sorority was successful in spreading awareness about the dangers of hazing.

“The objective was to spread awareness and I think we were really able to do that,” Henry said. 

Phi Mu began the week with a screening of “Haze,” on Sept. 19. “Haze” is a film by the University of Virginia’s Gordie Center, about the death of a college student due to fraternity hazing. The screening was followed by a discussion on how to best prevent hazing. 

On Tuesday, the sorority held a “These Hands Don’t Haze” campaign sharing reasons why Phi Mu members actively chose not to participate in hazing. 

Wednesday marked the last event for the week, which began in 2007 to educate college students of the dangers of hazing, encouraging people to advocate for change and engage in hazing prevention.

“We are having an Instagram campaign with providing more resources, facts about hazing, what to do to prevent it [and] how to handle it,” Henry said.

AU’s Fraternity and Sorority Life offers access for students to fill out the Online Hazing Report Form

“The more we can get the message out there, I think it’s really important,” Henry said.

mallen@theeagleonline.com 

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.