Tuesday, March 19, 2024
C99D534C-E51C-4623-8EE6-273E058FA634.jpeg

A look at the top of the Nationals lineup

Batting .328 and still at the bottom of the National League East

Besides the 2019 World Series season, this year’s season will be known as one of the most eventful for the Nationals. This year the Nationals did the unbelievable, trading the beloved Juan Soto

The Nationals are currently at the bottom of the National League East and are currently 53-97 this season. Despite their record, the Nationals have talented players at the top of the lineup. 

Lane Thomas:

Within his first year with the Nationals, Lane Thomas has been a force to be reckoned with, especially this season. The Nationals acquired Thomas from the Cardinals after trading Jon Lester

Thomas is batting .249 this season. 

If there is one thing Thomas knows how to do, it’s hit dingers. Thomas has racked up 16 home runs this season, leading the Nationals in home runs. 

Joey Meneses: 

Before this season, Nationals fans had never heard of this 30-year-old first baseman, but as of the last month or so, it seems as if every Nationals’ fan is talking about Joey Meneses

Prior to the Nationals, Meneses played in the minor leagues. The 30-year-old was called up Aug. 2 and the rest is history. 

This season Menses is averaging a .328 batting average, an on-base-plus-slugging percentage of .927, while simultaneously accumulating 25 runners batted in. No wonder why Nationals fans can’t stop talking about him.

Luis Garcia: 

Luis Garcia is currently hitting .279, earning his spot in the top of the lineup.

Garcia has hit six out of his 14 career home runs this season. The 22-year-old is young and has time to improve his offensive skills, as of right now it looks like he is here to stay. 

Nationals fans have had a rough season to say the least. Their world series champion and home run derby champion was traded to San Diego. 

On top of losing Soto, the Nationals have the worst record in the league. Not just the National League, but the entirety of the MLB. 

With players such as Meneses having the best seasons in their careers, it is unfortunate to see the baseball season coming to an end for the Nationals, but in the words of Nationals fans everywhere, there is always next season. 

hnewlontrujillo@theeagleonline.com 

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.