jshdgfjbu.jpg

Alpha Chi Omega and My Sister’s Place raised awareness for domestic violence on ‘Purple Thursday’

Alpha Chi Omega offered art and information to students on the quad for Domestic Violence Awareness Month

American University’s chapter of Alpha Chi Omega and My Sister’s Place hosted a table on the quad to raise awareness for domestic violence Oct. 20 in honor of Purple Thursday.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and Purple Thursday, the national day of action for the month, falls on Oct. 20. The goal was to increase awareness of the resources that organizations like MSP provide among students. 

MSP is a D.C.-based organization created to empower and serve survivors of domestic violence. Some of their services include offering resources such as a hotline, shelter, financial support and clinical counseling. The organization also runs programs that educate communities to take steps towards ending domestic violence.

Two tables were set up on the quad, where students could paint and decorate giant canvases or receive more information about MSP from a representative of the organization. One canvas will decorate the Alpha Chi Omega room and the other will be taken to MSP.

“October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, so My Sister’s Place came out and they have a bunch of stuff on the table to spread awareness,” said Ali Feder, a junior in the School of Communication and a member of Alpha Chi Omega’s philanthropy team. “It’s really important to spread awareness; we try to do as much as we can as an organization.”

“People can come paint, the paint is even just a therapeutic and relaxing thing especially during midterms week,” Feder added.

AU’s chapter of Alpha Chi Omega has been supporting MSP for many years, and this fall alone they raised $12,717 for the organization through their yearly philanthropy kickoff event. This year the event took the form of a soccer tournament which happened Oct. 10. 

“AU is a private institution, we have a lot of privilege being here, so I think it’s important to give back to the community, but also advocate for students that experience abusive relationships as well,” said Auj Douglas, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and member of Alpha Chi Omega. 

Alpha Chi Omega will run a coat drive later this year, and in the coming spring plans to host speakers to talk with students at AU about how to stop domestic violence. 

csaplewski@theeagleonline.com