reddz.jpeg

Roundup: Five stylish small businesses in the DMV

Unique and eco-friendly places to give your fall style an extra boost

Shopping small is an important part of supporting your local community. The DMV offers a wide variety of locally owned boutiques, consignment shops and small businesses ideal for revamping closets for the approaching school year. Though choosing from all the small businesses in the area can be difficult, The Eagle has five recommendations with a wide variety of style and price ranges that are perfect for a fall shopping spree. 

Reddz Trading

Reddz Trading is a consignment shop with locations in both Bethesda and Georgetown that carries everything from basic to designer. Here, shoppers can find curated and trendy items for a relatively cheap price point, and this business is also ideal for pre-season shopping. Reddz is stocked with sweaters and stylish pants well before the start of autumn for an early jump on seasonal trends. Potential patrons can check out Reddz Trading’s Instagram account for a sneak peek of what they’ll see in store.

Sequels Consignment Shop

Located in Van Ness, Sequels Consignment Shop offers high quality vintage pieces for discounted prices. This shop is great for timeless accessories, scarves and jewelry. Additionally, Sequels always has accessory staples that are essential for the fall season. Prioritizing quality is their speciality, so expect to find long lasting classics for a reasonable price.

Ella Rue

This female-owned boutique has a collection of new and used pieces ideal for achieving the classic “coastal grandmother” look that is so popular right now. Ella Rue allows customers to shop both in store and online. Consignment pieces offer a lower price point for luxury brands while high-quality, new pieces tend to run a bit higher. Regardless, this store has a carefully refined collection definitely worth the visit.

Shop Made in DC

A go-to destination for locally made accessories, Shop Made in DC carries the designs of a myriad of local designers and businesses. It’s a one-stop-shop for local flavor with six locations throughout the district. Shoppers can browse both in store and online to find beautiful local jewelry, tote bags and purses. Shop Made in DC’s products offer a wide range of prices making it the best place for locally made closet additions or personal gifts.

The Phoenix

For high end, sustainably sourced clothing, The Phoenix in Georgetown is perfect. Prices run on the high end, but it's worth the money for beautiful, ethical basics. Online and in-store shopping are available for staple closet pieces from basic jewelry to unique dresses. They also offer amazing discounts for clearance items. For a long-lasting environmentally conscious closet update, this is the place to go.

D.C. has a countless number of amazing local businesses and artists and this is just a small taste. To get in touch with the community and culture of the DMV as well as support the city, shopping locally is vital. Go explore and try out some of these local businesses for your fall closet update.

jbird@theeagleonline.com