springtime playlist

Springing into spring: New songs for a new season

From familiar favorites to 2022’s latest tracks, this playlist fuses new semester existentialism with warm weather euphoria

With the first day of spring just in a few days and D.C.’s frosty winters slowly morphing into sunnier days, it’s time to reflect on the past semester and dive into some songs for the springtime. With upbeat tracks that will have you humming all the way to class to laid-back tunes perfect for late-night journaling, this playlist is bound to get you excited about the warm weather ahead.

Here are some highlights:

mona lisa” by mxmtoon

With lyrics referencing Shakespeare, Van Gogh and Frida Kahlo, mxmtoon’s new song is sure to be a favorite for AU’s Literature and Art History majors. mxmtoon captures those Spring semester blues with lyrics like, “I’m so tired of being a book on the shelf (Book on the shelf) / tired of stories for somebody else (Somebody else) / think I’m ready to start a new chapter.” As you follow through with that New Year’s resolution to journal more, jam out to “mona lisa” and reflect on what you want your new chapter to look like.

Lullaby by UMI ft. Yeek

This dreamy beat is perfect for late-night studying. UMI’s mystifying voice floats over a lo-fi beat; witty lines like “If love was a subject in school / Couldn’t major in communication” provide elements of both vulnerability and light-heartedness that pair perfectly with Yeek’s smooth sound. Winding down after a long day of classes is a lot easier with this peaceful tune.

Let It Go” by Summer Walker

Spring can bring both new romance as well as heartbreak. Reflecting on the past with vulnerability while looking toward the future with hope is a lot easier with Summer Walker’s authentic lyrics and warm sound. The line “Nah, I don’t regret it, (regret it) / So I learned what love is once I / Let it go” is bound to make its way into your morning affirmations.

10 Steps” by Christian Leave

If your spring internships have you stressed out about the future, check out Christian Leave’s new song “10 steps.” Accompanied by upbeat drumming, Leave singing “and four years shouldn’t define / your sense of wonder in the world / and if you’ll ever make it in time” will inspire you and your friends to recreate the music video

Spring Day” by BTS

Is it even spring until you’ve blasted this song? Since it was first released five years ago, this song has been a must-have for all Spring playlists, and that hasn’t changed now that spring 2022 has rolled around. Complete with its titular seasonal metaphor, this charming song will have you singing along and daydreaming about D.C.’s upcoming cherry blossom season. 

Take It to the Heart” by Odette

A song that starts with “I am a fire on the wind / I am a lion deep within” is perfect for getting you in the right mindset for 2022. Odette started her musical career with “Watch Me Read You,” a stunning mix between slam-poetry and soulful singing. Her talent with words is evident within this artistic, fiery track.

Hate Our Love” by Queen Naija and Big Sean

As announced in the music video, “cuffing season is here.” If spring has you excited about new possibilities for romance, Queen Naija and Big Sean’s addictive new song is going to become a quick favorite. With a rich beat, this song will have you dancing as you get ready for class. 

Any Other Way” by Eric Nam

Infused with positivity and Nam’s unbelievable range, this romantic song is about to become your spring anthem. If exercising more was one of your New Year’s resolutions, the intensity of this track makes it perfect for all your workouts – from after class cardio at Cassell Fitness Center to morning weight lifting at Jacobs Fitness Center.

LAst dAy oN EaRTh” by Tai Verdes

Complete with witty lyrics and a catchy beat, Tai Verdes’ latest track is just what you need to bounce into the new semester. The visual rhetoric in this music video poses a powerful message of leaving behind what no longer serves you and smiling your way through life. With many Eagles nearing graduation this spring, the particular shot of Tai trying on jewelry with his friends as he sings, “All my favorite people need teary eyed goodbyes / Talk, laugh, hug and give a bunch of hard high fives” is enough to make you appreciate all those who make your time at American University particularly special.

Whether you’re looking for new beginnings this spring or just focusing on that self-growth, these songs are ideal for ringing in the new season and the new semester.

life@theeagleonline.com