men's basketball

Team effort propels men’s basketball over Army

Five Eagles hit double-digit points in a resounding win

The American University men’s basketball team (8-19) defeated the Army Black Knights (13-15) 83-67 behind a strong second-half effort Feb. 19.

The game started with a back and forth battle between the two teams. Both sides seemed to be trying to find their rhythm as neither could break away from the other and put together a solid scoring run.

By the end of the first half, the Eagles led by only two points and shot no free throws. Army shot nine free throws for the half, making only four for an abysmal 44 percent. 

The start of the second half saw more of the same from the first, a tense back and forth as both teams went blow for blow against each other.

The Eagles finally spread their wings with ten minutes left in the final period, going up 10 points with 10 minutes left in the game after a solid offensive run that was topped off by a fastbreak layup from sophomore guard Colin Smalls

Army attempted to get themselves back into the game but never could get their offense going, especially from beyond the arc where they went an excruciating 25 percent. The Eagles didn’t let up, piling on more points to finish out the game.

All five Eagle starters scored in the double-digits, Smalls led the way with a team-high of 17 points. Sophomore forwards Johnny O’Neil and Matt Rogers followed with 14, while senior guard Stacy Beckton Jr. and freshman guard Elijah Stephens had 13 each. Stephens added four steals to his stat line as well, matching his career-high.

“I think we’ve been steadily getting better despite the results,” head coach Mike Brennan said post-game. “More guys have been figuring things out and contributing.”

Smalls said post-game that the team had cohesion in the win and everyone was playing for each other in the win.

With the win, the Eagles move to 4-11 in conference play and go into the final week of the regular season looking to finish strong. After losing to Colgate 63-49 on Feb. 21, the Eagles will look to bounce back against Lehigh Wednesday at 7 p.m. EST.

lclarke@theeagleonline.com