gf bakery

REVIEW: The best gluten-free bakeries in DC

DC holds some of the sweetest treats in the land

As gluten-free diets have grown in popularity, the market for products has grown with it. Originally, there was a time when gluten-free bread tasted like cardboard, but today, wheat-free bread has evolved to taste almost identically to its gluten counterparts. 

The Red Bandana Bakery 

The Red Bandana Bakery supplies some of its products to the Terrace Dining Room, such as cookies and donuts, and their creations can be featured in the dedicated gluten-free fridge. 

Everything is gluten-free at the Red Bandana Bakery. From the bread to the cake pops, a gluten-free eater can have it all, without breaking the bank. 

Delicacies such as “Bonfire Brownies,” are only $2, and the award-winning creation features a fudgy chocolate base, topped with melted marshmallows and a dusting of graham cracker crumbs. This brownie’s melt-in-your-mouth texture bridges fudgy goodness with crunchy composition. 

The Red Bandana Bakery can be found on 8218 Wisconsin Ave #101, Bethesda, MD 20814 and can be accessed through the Red Line on the Metro. 

Red Velvet Cupcakery 

The Red Velvet Cupcakery offers a variety of pastries such as the Black Velvet cupcake.

At a price of only $3.50, the rich chocolate cupcake, drowned in frosting, has a crunchy exterior and buttercream frosting to top it off, and the treats at The Red Velvet Cupcakery have proved to be the perfect snack to make your day sweet.

Tatte Bakery and Cafe 

Upon looking at Tatte Bakery and Cafe’s collection of sweets and quick eats, several of their products are labeled “gluten-friendly.” Tatte Bakery and Cafe has a unique selection of items ranging from pavlovas and tarts to their very own teacakes. 

The pavlova is a cousin of the meringue. The crunchy exterior is exactly like that of a delicious egg meringue — the sweetness is just enough. Though unlike the meringue, the pavlova features a gooey lemon interior. 

The cashier-recommended teacake to hit the spot as well. Costing only $3, this treat is moist but still manages to fulfill the nutty desires with the almond topping, and even comes in flavors like strawberry.

Baked and Wired 

Baked and Wired did not disappoint. While their gluten-friendly selection is small, the flavorsome treats pack a powerful punch.

The Gluten-Free Chipper Cake Cup is a cupcake with a moist vanilla base and a surprising crunch of chocolate chips to pair. The buttercream frosting and chip topping are perfectly balanced, just enough to satisfy the sweet tooth. 

The Blueberry Poptart combines the tartness of a crumble with the sweetness of delicious sweet blueberries. While the foundation of the $4.20 tart is crumbly, the center holds a jam-like texture, covered in a buttercream white and blue frosting. 

If Georgetown is your place to be, this establishment is definitely worth the trip.

Sprinkles

Sprinkles is a bakery with much to offer and many delicious treats to enjoy. 

The original gluten-free base of the red velvet cupcake melts in your hands, while the buttercream frosting is sugary creaminess. Both are packed with goodness and are sure to satisfy your craving.

Some new additions to the menu include Lemon Blueberry cupcakes and gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. The base of the Lemon Blueberry cookie is comparable to a blueberry muffin and doesn’t feel quite as overwhelming as the red-velvet cupcake. 

DogTag Bakery

DogTag Bakery awakens the inner wintertime child. Memories of delicious homemade gluten-free brownies come through in the bakery’s chocolate macaroon. The exterior, coated in coconut shreddings holds a fudgy, intense chocolate center.

Just as delicious, the bakery also offers the chocolate macaroon’s counterpart, the coconut original macaroon. And DogTag Bakery has all the treats you need for a sweet snack.

Gluten-free bakeries and treats were few in number many years ago. Today, they seem to have taken over the town. Most restaurants, cafes and bakeries in town now offer gluten-free options and menus, and the growth of gluten-free options is something that has made eating out one step closer to being enjoyable to all. 

pmcgee@theeagleonline.com