Wonk Cat.jpg

Wonk Cat missing as fall semester starts

AU’s unofficial mascot disappeared two weeks ago

Wonk Cat, American University’s unofficial mascot, was reported missing around three weeks ago and is still on the loose.

The tuxedo cat has been part of AU’s culture since at least 2017, according to a report by The Washington Post. The cat typically resides outside the School of Communication and walks around campus, and has been used in promotional and fundraising materials because of her popularity. 

Now, amid her absence from campus, students and staff share messages of worry across social media.

“Wonk hasn’t previously gone missing for this long of an amount of time - although she has been taken by animal control due to the neighbors wrongly reporting her,” the owner of the @wonkcat.au Instagram account, Lauren Greenberg, said. 

President Sylvia Burwell tweeted on Aug. 19 about the cat’s disappearance.

The Wonk Cat was last seen near Al Dente, a local restaurant about two blocks away from campus, on Aug. 24 around 9:45 p.m. She ran away shortly after.

A PawBoost alert for the cat shares information and a plea for her return:

“Students and families who returned or came to campus for the first time miss our beloved Wonk cat being at her house. If you see or know the whereabouts of Wonk please report. Thanks,” the post read.

The University is asking community members and local residences to report sightings to Grounds Operation Manager Stephanie DeStefano at destefan@american.edu or by calling 717-763-1804.

aturner@theeagleonline.com 

Correction: The phone number to contact with information about the Wonk Cat has been updated.