DEI-logo.png

The Eagle looks to further diversify its staff with its next recruitment round that will begin April 23

The paper is also working to adjust internal processes to bolster the diversity of its coverage and increase community

The Eagle will soon begin recruiting staffers for the summer semester, members of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion group announced Wednesday.

General staff applications will open on April 23 and will close on May 14. They will be available on The Eagle’s website and will be announced via the paper’s social media accounts.

Following a recruitment round that diversified The Eagle’s staff and made it younger, DEI group members are preparing to contact interested students of all class years and majors, as they did in the fall. The group will also contact professors.

Posters will also be created and posted in residence halls around campus to advertise the open application to students living on campus.

In other news, Austin began the DEI meeting by asking staffers about their thoughts on journalist Issac Bailey’s recent reporting on race workshop.

Bailey suggested all staffers create a “trigger list” of words and actions that identify their biases, and Austin and Mulroy will soon develop a plan for implementing Bailey’s recommendation beginning this summer. The list will help staffers make thoughtful decisions in their reporting and writing process to make coverage fairer and more expansive.

Reflecting on the paper’s overall lack of coverage of the Asian American community during the past year, DEI staffers spoke about internal processes that The Eagle may implement in the future to ensure the paper regularly reports on important and diverse stories.

DEI group members also spoke of long-term goals they may wish to accomplish, like building a better sense of community within The Eagle through greater collaboration between the paper’s sections, among other things.

And as the DEI staffers revising The Eagle’s Style Sheet near the completion of their efforts, they worked with Austin to set a date for a presentation to all Eagle staffers about changes to the guide.

The group also set a date for a community-building game night that will occur before the end of the semester.

gferris@theeagleonline.com