MBB v Loyola

Senior guard Jamir Harris enters transfer portal as graduate transfer

Harris enters transfer portal after First Team All-Patriot League season for the Eagles

Men’s basketball senior guard Jamir Harris entered the NCAA transfer portal Monday as a graduate transfer, according to Verbal Commits and Stock Risers’ Jake Weingarten

Harris’ decision to enter the transfer portal comes on the heels of his breakout senior season for the Eagles. After transferring from Minnesota two years ago and playing a supporting role in his first season at American University, Harris was selected to the All-Patriot League First Team for the 2021 season after leading the Eagles in scoring and assists, averaging 20.5 points and 3.5 assists per game. Harris also led all of Division I men’s basketball in 3-pointers made per game with 3.9 while shooting 43.8 percent from long distance. 

"He is graduating this spring. He had a terrific year. He will have some great options,” men’s basketball head coach Mike Brennan said in a statement to The Eagle. “We thank him for three great years at AU and wish him the best."

According to reporter Adam Zagoria, Harris has already heard from schools like Arkansas, Rhode Island, Stanford and Kansas State since entering the transfer portal. Seton Hall, which is located in northern New Jersey, where Harris is from, has also contacted him. Seton Hall is also recruiting Harris' brother Jaquan Harris, a high school junior and three-star recruit, according to 247Sports.

Harris was the anchor for the Eagles in a complicated season with multiple stoppages, oftentimes carrying the team’s offense with his standout shooting and improved playmaking. He was also one of the main vocal leaders of the team.

“Jamir probably takes the head captain role,” junior forward Josh Alexander said in a February interview. “He’s always vocal, always positive. He’s always hyping people up and giving them confidence.”

Since Harris is a graduate transfer, he will be able to play immediately at his new university without having to sit out a full year, like he did when he initially transferred to American. And though he entered the transfer portal, he is still free to remove himself if he decides to.

Harris’s departure would signal the second straight year with a huge scoring hole left from the guard positions. After all-time leading scorer Sa’eed Nelson graduated in 2020, Harris stepped up and shouldered the scoring and playmaking role for the Eagles in 2021. With Harris leaving, freshman guards like Colin Smalls and Lorenzo Donadio, as well as incoming recruit Elijah Stephens will likely shoulder much of the backcourt responsibilities next season.

abranch@theeagleonline.com