Sarah McBride, Delaware state senator and AU alumna, to speak at virtual event

McBride will discuss making history as the first openly transgender state senator in the U.S.

Author, activist and National Press Secretary of the Human Rights Campaign Sarah McBride (SPA/BA ’13) speaks to students on Sept. 27 2018.

The Kennedy Political Union will host Sarah McBride, a Democratic Delaware state senator and American University alumna, at a virtual event on March 22 for AU students, KPU announced Monday.

School of Public Affairs Dean Vicky Wilkins will moderate the KPU event, a collaboration with SPA, the Women and Politics Institute, Visible and AU PRIDE. McBride told Wilkins at a virtual discussion in May that she sees politics as a way to effect change for large numbers of people.

“I had been involved in politics I think in large part because, as I was growing up, I was always looking around and struggling with my place in the world,” McBride said in May. “When I was growing up, it was probably the biggest thing in my mind, in my life, as I struggled with who I am and whether or not my community’s heart was big enough to love someone like me.”

The KPU discussion will focus on LGBTQ+ representation in government and McBride’s historic election as the first openly transgender state senator in the U.S. 

McBride, a former AU Student Government president and 2013 SPA graduate, previously served as press secretary for the Human Rights Campaign. In 2018, she released a memoir, “Tomorrow Will Be Different,” which chronicles tragedy in her life and her role as an activist.

The Zoom webinar, which is free to students, will take place on Monday, March 22 at 7 p.m.

saustin@theeagleonline.com

More from The Eagle

Would you like to support our work? Donate here to The Eagle Innovation Fund.

Coronavirus Project