AU Athletics.JPG

BREAKING: Athletic department enters 10-day shutdown after an increase in positivity rate

12 competitions postponed; athletes, staff to quarantine

The American University athletic department has shut down for a minimum 10-day period following a “slight increase” in the department’s coronavirus positivity rate, according to a press release Friday night. Cases were reported across multiple teams, including positive tests from both men’s and women’s basketball’s Tier 1 personnel. 

“This action is being taken out of an abundance of caution, in accordance with current protocols and in the best interest of the health and safety of all student-athletes, coaches and staff,” the press release reads. “The pause encompasses all on-campus athletic activity including games, team practices and training.”

During the pause, all student-athletes, coaches, and staff will continue following University testing procedures and D.C. quarantine regulations. The shutdown comes on the same day that the Patriot League released its 2021 spring sports schedules.

AU had 12 athletic competitions initially scheduled for the next 10 days, seven of which had already been postponed prior to the pause. This 10-day pause affects four women’s basketball games, four men’s basketball games, all three regular-season wrestling duals, and the lone regular-season cross country meet.

The women’s basketball team was scheduled to play against Navy this weekend, but will now have its games postponed to a later date. 

Neither the men’s nor women’s basketball teams have played since Jan. 24 and are not slated to play until Feb. 17, marking three straight weekends of postponements for each team. Both teams are still scheduled to compete against Loyola on Wednesday, Feb. 17.

The men’s and women’s basketball teams each need a minimum of 13 games to qualify for the NCAA Tournament — this would mean three Patriot League Tournament games, in addition to 10 regular-season games. Games are still being rescheduled with the league office.

snusbaum@theeagleonline.com

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.