Shannon wrestling

BREAKING: Wrestling coach Teague Moore departs from program, former AU wrestler thrust into role

Moore leaving the University after nine seasons at the helm

American University wrestling head coach Teague Moore has left the program after nine seasons with the team, according to a press release sent out by the Athletic Department Thursday night. Former AU wrestler Jason Grimes, who graduated in 2017 and has been working as a business assistant in the athletic department, will act as the interim coach for a freshman-heavy roster during the pandemic.

During Moore’s tenure at AU, he coached the Eagles to a 60-71 record in dual meets, helping five wrestlers earn All-Americans honors in the process. His departure comes after a shortened season where the team went 4-8 and 3-5 within the conference. 

Moore leaves American with an extensive resume. In addition to winning the 2011 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Wrestling 'Coach of the Year,' Moore coached at the 2017 U-23 World Championships in Poland as the head coach for the U.S. Men’s Freestyle Team.

As the athletic department officially begins its search for a new coach, interim head coach Grimes, 26, will use the 2020-2021 season to try to right the ship for AU. An accomplished AU wrestler, Grimes finished his career with 13 pins, ranking 10th all-time for the Eagles. Grimes earned an Academic All-EIWA (Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association) and was an NCAA qualifier his senior year.

AU’s upcoming duals against Navy on Jan. 25 and Jan. 29 have been canceled, according to Navy head coach Cary Kolat.

The reasoning behind Moore’s departure is not yet known. The University did not provide additional comment at the time of publication.

odunn@theeagleonline.com