Andrea Mitchell announced as commencement speaker for virtual December ceremony

The ceremony will recognize summer and fall graduates

Journalist Andrea Mitchell is the commencement speaker for AU's virtual ceremony on Dec. 13.

American University announced Tuesday that journalist Andrea Mitchell will be the commencement speaker for the online graduation ceremony for summer and fall 2020 graduates. 

Mitchell, NBC News’ chief foreign affairs correspondent and host of MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports,” will be a featured speaker, followed by the “Dean’s Remarks and School Celebrations.” The commencement is planned to take place virtually on Sunday, Dec. 13 at 1 p.m. Mitchell will speak to “approximately 1,000 summer and fall graduates” from the eight different schools, according to AU’s website. She will also be receiving an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from the University. 

The AU fall 2020 commencement website also details a plan to “list the names of graduates and degree candidates (as of mid-November)” that will be available on the commencement site in the days leading up to the celebration. 

In addition, the website notes that 2020 graduates will be invited back to AU to participate in special ceremonies. AU previously invited the May 2020 graduates to an in-person December ceremony, before moving fall and summer commencement online again due to the pandemic. 

swinick@theeagleonline.com gli@theeagleonline.com

More from The Eagle