Wednesday, June 12, 2024
yang.jpg

Former presidential candidate Andrew Yang to speak at virtual event on Oct. 29

Yang was the first Asian American male Democratic presidential candidate

Former presidential candidate and entrepreneur Andrew Yang will speak with students at a virtual event on Oct. 29, five days prior to the presidential election.

The event will be hosted by Kennedy Political Union, Kogod School of Business, AU College Democrats and the Asian American Student Union. Caroline Bruckner, a Kogod professorial lecturer, will moderate the event. 

Yang will speak about the significance of the upcoming election and his former platform, which centered around the implementation of a universal basic income system, according to Amrutha Chatty, director of KPU.

“We really wanted to have an event close to the election to encourage people who haven't already voted to vote and to hear from somebody who has been on the front lines of campaigning,” Chatty said.

In addition to his work in the political sphere, Yang is currently a CNN commentator and founder of the Humanity Forward Foundation. He was the first Asian American man Democratic candidate to run for president. 

“We really have been trying to make our speakers as representative of our student body as possible,” Chatty said. “We’re excited to have partnered with AASU on this to bring somebody of Asian descent as well because that has been a severely underrepresented group not just on campus, but in our speakership as well.”

The moderated event will take place on Thursday, Oct. 29 at 6 p.m. on Zoom. Registration is free for all students.

ssolano@theeagleonline.com

Editor’s note: This podcast discusses topics like suicide, sexual abuse and violence.

In this episode of Couch Potatoes, hosts Sydney Hsu and Sara Winick talk about shows that are created to elicit an emotion response from viewers. Listen along as they discuss past and current trends within media, and how they have affected audiences.