Zoom Outages.png

BREAKING: AU responds to Zoom outages on first day of classes

Office of Information Technology recommends using the desktop app instead of the browser

Zoom, the popular video conferencing application heavily relied upon by American University and other colleges for remote education, experienced widespread outages Monday morning, as the University began its first day of the fall semester. 

The Office of Information Technology sent an email to students, faculty and staff, recommending that users try to access the service via the desktop app as opposed to opening it in the browser, even as students took to social media to complain about the outages. 

Zoom is currently working to address the issue, the company posted on Twitter. 

“Thanks for hanging in there! We are deploying a fix now,” they tweeted. “Service should be restored for some users and we’re continuing to complete the fix for any users still impacted. We're sorry about the disruption.”

According to the Office of Information Technology, students should be able to log into the Zoom desktop application via Single Sign On and start or join a scheduled meeting. 

If students need help with using the Zoom desktop client, the AU Help and Services website offers additional resources and a step-by-step process for opening Zoom on desktop.

According to Zoom’s service status, the application is still experiencing partial outages with meetings and webinars, primarily via the website. Service has been restored for the majority of users as of 12:12 p.m. EST. Zoom is continuing to roll out fixes for remaining users who are still experiencing outages. 

dignacio@theeagleonline.com,  dpapcsun@theeagleonline.com