Tuesday, March 19, 2024
Patatas_bravas_madrid.jpg

Top 10 best comfort food recipes this winter

Warm up with street food-inspired dishes from around the world

No other kind of food is shaped so much by personal memories and nostalgia like comfort food. These recipes not only serve as a guide to a delicious meal, but they also tell a story. The world of food is at the center of most social occasions, and sometimes the cuisine becomes the social occasion itself. Food and culture have always been intertwined, and once you embark on the journey of exploring how food has driven culture, you will gain a sense of appreciation for the sensational variety in recipes different parts of the world have to offer. After scouring the web for the tastiest, most easily preparable dishes, here are 10 of the most mouthwatering international street food-inspired dishes you can make in the comfort of your own home.

1. Irish Spice Bag

Do you prefer your fries supersized? These thick-cut frites are the savior to any craving or hangover with their perfect golden hue and Asian fusion twist. This Dublin treasure and favored snack has become a sensation starting out as a street food dish to being served in restaurants. For those who’d like an insight into the deep love people have for all things spice bag, the Spicebag Appreciation Society on Facebook, with 16,985 members, explains everything. If you’re feeling adventurous, check out this recipe for a classic take on the spice bag. 

2. Tunisian Brik a L’Oeuf

Also known as Malsouka, this savory stuffed pastry is eaten in Northern Africa and can be devoured within minutes. Brik is ubiquitous across the country of Tunisia, the word stemming from the Turkish word “börek,” a baked phyllo pastry stuffed with a savory filling has become the country's national dumpling. It feeds plenty or even a party of one – all you have to do is bring on the appetite.

3. Spanish Patatas Bravas

Fried in oil and served with a spicy chipotle aioli, these crisp square cut potatoes will do just the trick to make you want to cozy up at home on a chilly winter day. Typically served in a bar, Patatas Bravas is one of the most common Spanish tapas that you will find if you decide to visit Spain. If you’re looking for a tempting snack, don’t settle for anything less than this recipe here.

4. Turkish Borek

Borek comes in many shapes and sizes and is filled with everything from meat, cheese and spinach to spiced mashed potato. For centuries, it borek was the food of nomads and wanderers. This dish is your layered bliss of puff pastry to bring you warmth.

5. Sayadieh

Originating from southern areas in Lebanon, this traditional combination of rice and fish is typically served on one plate, piled high. The origin of the word sayadieh came from “sayad,” which means “fisherman” in Lebanese. This dish is topped with lightly toasted pine nuts and slivered almonds, and, if you so desire, a special sauce on the side.

6. Hungarian Langos

Hungary’s version of pizza is langos, a street food dish, made with fried dough and topped with cheese and sour cream. In the melting pot of European nationalities, this well-known street food dish can be found in the heart of Budapest. The combination of flavors is unique and will have you craving more. This snack is popular come time for Christmas Markets. 

7. Vietnamese Pho 

Can you ever go wrong with pho? That’s a rhetorical question. This dish has been a staple in Vietnamese culture, bringing about comfort while also stoking the imagination. Try this recipe at home to show your mom your cooking prowess so she knows you’re eating something other than boxed ramen this semester. 

8. Ratatouille 

If you’re craving something on the healthier side, then this is the recipe for you. Winter’s coziest comfort food is ratatouille, a mixture of stewed veggies creating the perfect rustic and hearty dish for a cold day. This dish was once known as peasant’s food because it was inexpensive to make and the ingredients were relatively simple to find.

9. Mac and Cheese

Outrageously cheesy, ultra creamy and oven-baked, this ultimate soul food dish pairs well with any meat and classic collard greens. America’s favorite comfort food makes it hard not to fall in love with it.

10. Peruvian Papa con Huevo

This Peruvian dish is a flavor bomb that is heaven-sent, and totally customizable to your liking! Taken from Lima, a city in the highlands of Peru, this dish is ingrained in everyday meals and holiday cuisine. For a perfect midday brunch at the convenience of your own humble abode, try out this recipe.

dknafo@theeagleonline.com

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.