Kogod - Summer

Kogod graduate student killed in car crash

Arik Knapp was a first-term student in the Business Online MBA program

Arik Knapp, a first-term graduate student in the Kogod School of Business Online MBA program, died on Feb. 3 in a car crash on US-15, according to a report by The Frederick News-Post.

In a memo sent out to students on Monday, Kogod School of Business Dean John Delaney said Knapp brought decades of experience with him, from working in emergency communications technology management with the U.S. Coast Guard to becoming a cybersecurity project manager for a defense contractor. 

“We extend our deepest sympathy to Arik's family and friends and those in the AU community who knew him,” Delaney said in the memo.

According to a Maryland State Police press release, Knapp’s Mazda was struck by a Dodge Ram 3500 truck. He was taken to Washington MedStar Hospital and later pronounced dead. No other fatalities were reported.

A friend of the Knapp family started a GoFundMe page to financially support his wife and daughter, who was seriously injured. It has raised over $40,000. 

Delaney reminded students in the memo that counseling services and chaplains are available to assist them while they are mourning.

kcarolan@theeagleonline.com