womens lacrosse feb 19 2020.jpg

AU Lacrosse dominates in home-opener

Eagles moves to 2-0 with 18-3 victory over Delaware State

The AU women’s lacrosse team moved to 2-0 with a dominant 18-3 victory over the Delaware State Hornets (0-3) in their first home game of the season Wednesday afternoon at the Jacobs Recreational Complex.

Goals came early and often for AU, as the team scored six times in the first 10 minutes en route to a 15-goal performance in the first half. The Eagles defense also shined in the first half, shutting out the Hornets on the other end. 

“We played phenomenal,” said assistant coach Alix Lopez. “We challenged them from the beginning to be composed and play a full 60 minutes and we were able to play a full 60 minutes and we’re really proud of the girls.”

AU’s aggressive mindset was evident early in the match, recording 28 shots in the first half alone, as well as 13 draw controls. The Eagles were able to impose their will on the Hornets early, controlling possession for most of the first half. Junior Emma Vinall scored three goals within the first 10 minutes of the game and finished with five goals in the half. 

“I think our whole entire team, Emma Vinall of course had a phenomenal game, but everyone rose to the occasion,” said Lopez. “We had a lot of different people contributing and that’s all we ask for from our girls. 

The Hornets opened up the second half with two quick goals as they attempted to mount a comeback, but their efforts were thwarted by great defense and timely goals from the Eagles.

Vinall, who made All-Patriot League Second Team last year, went on to score one more goal in the second half, upping her total for the game to six which tied her previous career high. She is now up to 11 goals on the season, the second most in the Patriot League through two games. She is also first in goals per game.

Vinall was not the only player to record a hat trick for the Eagles, as sophomore Hali Sabilia added three goals. Senior Casey Harkins also contributed in a big way with two goals and seven assists in the game. 

AU’s next home game at the Jacobs Recreational Complex takes place at noon on Saturday against the Long Island University Sharks (1-2), following two upcoming road contests against Longwood University (1-1) and George Washington University (0-2). 

abranch@theeagleonline.com