Stock Photo of Mary Graydon Center and the Flagpoles

Former AU vice president for development and alumni relations arrested for sex crimes

Thomas Minar worked for the University from 2008 to 2015

The former AU Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Thomas Minar was fired from Franklin College earlier this month following his arrest for sex crimes.

Minar worked at AU for nearly seven years. In 2015, he left his role at the University to become the president of Franklin College, a small liberal arts college in Indiana. 

According to a report from the Indianapolis Star, he was arrested in Wisconsin after an undercover cop exchanged messages with him on the dating app Grindr for over a month. He was charged with “use of a computer to facilitate a sex crime, child enticement and exposing a child to harmful materials.” 

AU spokesperson Kelly Alexander said that the University does not know anything about Minar’s termination.

“Tom Minar served as VP of Development and Alumni Relations at AU from October 2008 until June 2015, when he became president of Franklin College in Indiana,” Alexander wrote in an email to The Eagle. “We have no information about the matter being reported, though we understand this is unsettling news.”

According to reports, Minar is due back in court on Jan. 17. 

kcarolan@theeagleonline.com