Road to Clubhouse Fest x Cupcakes via Charm City Cakes.jpg

AU-inspired cupcakes will be featured at DJ music festival at Echostage

Proceeds of Charm City Cakes’ cupcake will go to a suicide prevention organization

Clubhouse Fest is hosting a pop-up music festival that will feature AU-inspired cupcakes at Echostage’s Illenium event on Friday.

The featured cupcakes were designed by Charm City Cakes, a famed bakery that opened in Baltimore in 2002 by chef Duff Goldman. Goldman’s unique cake decorating skills gained notoriety on the Food Network’s reality series “Ace of Cakes.” 

Charm City Cakes is partnering with the music festival organization Clubhouse Fest leading up for their second annual Maryland Million Day horse races, where world-class DJs entertain crowds at the Laurel Park Race Track.

To try the red, white and blue iced cake honoring AU’s school colors, students can join Clubhouse Fest at Echostage. These cupcakes will only be featured at this pop-up event and not at the horse races on Oct. 19.

AU isn’t the only school being honored in sweet-treat form. Charm City Cakes has also created cupcakes for the University of Maryland, Towson University and the George Washington University. AU’s cupcake will be yellow or chocolate cake with red, white and blue swirled buttercream icing.

Cupcakes will cost $3 at the Illenium pop-up, and all proceeds will be given to umttr, an anti-bullying and suicide prevention organization started by high school students from Montgomery Country, Maryland in 2013. The organization raises funds for schools to begin comprehensive and researched mental health education programs.

Charm City Cakes has catered events, such as former President Barack Obama’s first inauguration, and has partnered with other non-profit organizations, such as Share Our Strength to raise awareness about global hunger.

Clubhouse Fest began last year to combine Maryland Million Day’s live horse racing with musical entertainment. Last year, the festival featured artists like Steve Aoki, Tyga and Rick the Kid. 

Tickets to Illenium are general admission and cost $69. The show begins at 10 p.m. Tickets to Clubhouse Fest’s Laurel Park concert on Oct. 19 begin at $59. Entrance to Laurel Park to watch the races is free.

This article has been updated since its first publishing.

kmcdonnell@american.edu