Filomena.jpg

Explore all the cultural cuisines D.C.’s restaurant scene has to offer

Here’s your go-to guide for delicious meals and totally Insta-worthy food pictures

Washington, D.C. is more than just a political hub; it is also an amazing place to experience food from all over the world. Food is a great way to bring friends, family and colleagues together, and it’s even better when it allows you to connect with other cultures. Whether you’re hitting the town with your friends, dining alone or even want to carry out food, here are four establishments in D.C. to check out to satisfy your need for multicultural cuisine. 

Cafe of India 

If you’re looking for some of the best Indian food in the D.C. area, Cafe of India is the place to go. From chicken tikka masala to palak paneer, this spot has a menu that is bound to excite your taste buds. Offering meat, pescetarian, vegetarian and vegan options, Cafe of India is hard to beat. Another plus: it’s close by. Located in American University’s buddy town, Friendship Heights, Cafe of India is super accessible if you’re looking for a bite during their lunch and dinner hours. To top it off, if you’re dealing with broke college student syndrome, all the meals are under $20. If you’re feeling a little lazy or running short on time to dine in, Cafe of India also offers delivery and carry-out options.

Where: 4909 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016

Metro: Red line to Friendship Heights, N6 Western Ave & 44th St

Filomena Ristorante

Filomena has been a landmark of Georgetown for over 30 years. Founded by JoAnna Filomena when she moved back from New York City in 1980, the restaurant opened its doors on May 23, 1983. Filomena said she wanted to create a restaurant that had an inviting atmosphere with memorable dishes on the table, and she did just that . Filomena Ristorante ensures a great and satisfying meal experience.  The restaurant has been given praise from Forbes 100 as one of the best places for wine lovers and was voted as one of Washington’s Top Best Italian Restaurants on Open Table. This fine establishment also offers vegan and vegetarian options, so all Italian food lovers can join in on the flavor train that is Filomena.

Where: 1063 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington, DC 20007

Metro: Metro to Dupont Circle, Circulator to Friendship Heights, bus 30N to Nw M St & Nw Thomas Jefferson St

Zaytinya

As the chilly D.C. fall weather starts to set in, it’s important to think of warm places with a beautiful view of the ocean and the sun creeping over your sunglasses. Zaytinya provides just that. Located a short way away in Penn Quarter, this Mediterranean restaurant is serving up brunch, lunch and dinner with inspiration from the coast of Europe including Turkish, Greek and Lebanese cuisine. All entrees are reasonably priced, except the lamb shoulder, which is a hefty $85 coming out of your crying wallet. Zaytinya feeds all your Mediterranean cravings, with some delicious dishes such as falafel, chicken shawarma, gyros and even more mouthwatering desserts such as Turkish delight and galatopita. Zaytinya is another great option to see what D.C.’s authentic cuisine is really all about. 

Where: 701 9th St NW, Washington, DC 20001

Transit: Get on bus at Macarthur Blvd, take D6 bus toward Stadium-Armory and exit E St & 8th St

Estadio

Estadio is one of many spots in the District you will want to tell home about. This restaurant’s unique take on authentic northern Spanish cuisine is something you’ll want to try. Between rave reviews from the Veracious Vegan to being named one of the District’s best date spots, this place offers something for everyone. Estadio, located in Logan Circle, offers brunch, lunch and dinner, so you can stop there for any meal. Offering more than 12 renditions of queso and a wide selection of wines — if you’re 21, of course — Estadio has everything a college student could want. Voted by the Washingtonian as one of  D.C.’s 100 very best restaurants, Estadio is definitely worth a try.

Where: 1520 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20005

Transit: Metrobus stop at Macarthur Blvd, D6 bus toward Stadium-Armory, exit bus at Massachusetts Ave & 20th St

kbutler@theeagleonline.com