Sam Iorio MBB

AU men’s basketball’s Sam Iorio to enter NCAA transfer portal

Forward will look to transfer after two seasons at American

After two productive seasons at American, sophomore forward Sam Iorio announced Wednesday via Twitter that he will be entering the NCAA transfer portal.

“After long consideration and conversations with my parents and mentors, I have decided to enter the transfer portal,” he wrote. “I would like to thank American University and the coaching staff for believing in me the last two years and appreciate everything.”

Iorio, who has averaged 14.1 points and 6.5 rebounds per game during his career at AU, was instrumental in making the Eagles one of the most improved teams in Division I basketball this season. The team went from a six-win season in 2018 to finishing with 15 victories this year. 

While Iorio still has the option to remain at AU, it would not be surprising if the Allentown, Pa., product looks to play at a major program. In high school, Iorio had an offer from Villanova and also received interest from Davidson.

Other than Iorio and graduating senior Larry Motuzis, the Eagles will be returning all key pieces next season. Three new recruits will be joining the team, including Jamir Harris, a highly touted transfer from Minnesota who will be eligible to play, as well as incoming freshmen Ben Lubarsky and Bradley Nalley.

The Eagles have previously struggled with players leaving the program earlier than expected. In spring 2017, four players left the team simultaneously, with two top recruits opting to transfer to another university. 

The Athletic Department did not make head coach Mike Brennan available for comment. Nick Guerriero, AU’s associate athletics director for communications, said the department would not comment since “Sam is still a member of our team.”

“The bond I built with my teammates during my time here will last a lifetime as well,” Iorio wrote on Twitter. “With that being said I am excited to explore this new beginning, as I look at other options that will better fit me and my future!”

jkolodny@theeagleonline.com