Tuesday, March 19, 2024
Stevecohen.jpeg

Tennessee Congressman Steve Cohen to speak at AU later this month

House Judiciary Committee member will speak to students on Feb. 28

Congressman Steve Cohen, a Democrat who represents Tennessee’s 9th district, will speak at AU on Feb. 28, the Kennedy Political Union announced on Thursday.

Cohen has served as a representative for 12 years and is Tennessee's first Jewish congressman. Beginning as a legal advisor to the Memphis Police Department, Cohen went on to serve in the Tennessee Senate for 24 years before being elected to Congress.

Cohen, who is the chairman of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constiutition, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, will discuss some of today's pressing issues including climate change, medical marijuana and family separations at the Mexican border, according to a KPU press release. 

In addition to serving on the judiciary committee, Cohen is a senior member of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure. Cohen is also known for introducing articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump in November 2017. 

The event, moderated by School of Communication professor Jane Hall, will be held at the Forman Theater at 6:45 p.m., with doors opening for the event at 6:30 p.m. Admission is free to students and faculty, and AU IDs will be checked at the door.

The event is being held in collaboration with the School of Communication and Zeta Beta Tau fraternity. 

aveitch@theeagleonline.com 

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.