Satire Seagle

Satire: Senior university administrator responds to an email in timely fashion

We can only hope that this new practice spills over to faculty

In our new series, “Who is AU?” The Seagle will profile a new community member every two weeks, in an attempt to highlight the hopes, dreams and aspirations of our diverse community that hails from all corners of the New York tri-state area. We want to know more about the real you, and also the administration needs more propaganda to entice naive and innocent high school students.

Senior University Administrator Helga Fisher within the Office of Campus Life is set to be honored this week for responding to an email in a timely fashion. This event is a big moment for American University, which formerly faced complaints about university administrators avoiding their email inboxes.

If you know how to get there, a walk through Butler Pavilion -- the location of the Office of Campus Life -- will afford small blips of conversations with common phrases like “Can you send it again? I must not have gotten it” or “Yes, your email is next on my to-do list.”

After a thorough inspection, the Office of Information Technology has confirmed that there are no issues with the university email system.

Fisher credits her prompt reply to realizing that replying to emails was “part of her job.” Some administrators disagree with Fisher’s conclusion.

One senior administrator, granted anonymity, aimed to shade some light on the issue. She states, “Sometimes, the job gets so busy with other tasks taking precedent. It’s easier to wait until the subject and content of the email has blown up to a big enough problem to take priority.”

The Seagle welcomes the example that Fisher is setting for administrators and faculty alike primarily because there is no such thing as becoming too busy with your job to do your job.

We can only hope that this new mindset will extend to the Faculty Senate instructing faculty to grade assignments in a timely fashion.

Nickolaus Mack is a senior in the School of Public Affairs and The Eagle’s managing editor for opinion.

nmack@theeagleonline.com